is amazon.com website down?

When I type in amazon.com, I get a http 1.1 Service Unavailable error.

Favorite Answer

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online retailer Amazon.com Inc said its U.S. website was down for about 2 hours on Friday and it was unclear when service would be restored in full.

A spokeswoman for Amazon said the site was unavailable starting at around 13:25 a.m. EDT, but declined to specify the cause.

Users in the United States who tried signing onto the popular portal saw a message saying the service was unavailable.

Amazon's international sites, such as amazon.co.jp, amazon.co.uk and amazon.de, were not affected, nor were its Web services, the spokeswoman said. Two hours after the outage, some users were able to access the site intermittently.

Yes, I've been trying the last 10 minutes or so and I get the same error - Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

Looks like some major part of their network is down...

There was much buzz about the new Metal Gear solid 4 Playstation 3 bundle they began to take pre-orders on today. The pre-orders began at 10:00am PST. The tiem was mentioned in many blogs as well as an emailt o amazon.com customers.

I went to the site at almost exactly 12:00pm Central and pre-order a PS3 bundle. when I went back to the site 2 minutes later to look at a few other things the bundles were sold out. Next thing I knew I got the error you mention.

I think it is no coincidence. the excessive traffic the got probably caused it to shut down. The pre-orders for the PS3 MGS4 bundle were all sold before it went down.

Its not so much that I NEED to shop now. I find it rather interesting that amazon.com which is the quintessential web company can experience a debilitating service outage like this.

They must be running everything ridiculously fault tolerant, everything redundant. Separate outside provider links, Clusters upon clusters of web servers.

Wonder if they're only using one DataCenter. No fail over site amazon?

Someones going to get screwed. Thats a lot of $$ lost in almost an hour.

"You might also enjoy: Designing a better network infrastructure by not you guys"

Same here...I'm getting that same error code. At first I was able to get on the front page but no other pages, and now I can't even get on the front page. My husband is on the phone with me now - he's at the bookstore asking what I want him to pick up -- and he says the salespeople can't get on it either (obviously). I need my wishlist to see what books I want!

Just found out -- if you type an 's' after the http in the site address, it will work (https://www.amazon.com). You have to type the 's' on all the other pages, too.

Yeah! I have tried to log on to amazon.com as soon as your question was published and I got the same error message.

That started for me last night when I finally decided to order a Flip Ultra. I want to get it before my trip. I hope they fix this soon. I tried the "s" after the http, but that only gets you to the home page. If you need to search within the site, you don't have an opportunity to put the address in again. If I'm missing something, post again. Thanks!

Your right. MGS4 Bundle Traffic probably brought it down just like Konami site a couple weeks back. MGS4 bundle bigger than what many people think. I've been waiting 3 1/2 months.

Yes. Over 2hours ago it went out while I was downloading a tv show. I checked and it's up in other countries, UK, Canada, China, Japan, France, etc. Just the USA is down.

SAME HERE!!!!!!!i can log in or find any item,it comes up with that stupid server error or somthing,it started for me about 25 minutes ago