Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 1 decade ago

When i go to amazon.com it just says Http/1.1 Service Unavailable why?

if there is consturtion how long will it take?

Best Answer

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online retailer Amazon.com Inc said its U.S. website was down for about 2 hours on Friday and it was unclear when service would be restored in full.

A spokeswoman for Amazon said the site was unavailable starting at around 13:25 a.m. EDT, but declined to specify the cause.

Users in the United States who tried signing onto the popular portal saw a message saying the service was unavailable.

Amazon's international sites, such as amazon.co.jp, amazon.co.uk and amazon.de, were not affected, nor were its Web services, the spokeswoman said. Two hours after the outage, some users were able to access the site intermittently.

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable ....

This is an Amazon.com error. Although they promise 99.99 % uptime in a year - which means something like 53 minutes downtime pr year - this is not the first time they have had this error.

In 2004 the error was due to some human error as they deleted some 100 MB cache files on Amazon.

So They are probably working full speed at Amazon right now. Site should be up within an hour or so. This was the case in 2004.

Its a server error and doesnt have anything to do with ps3 or anything else of the above suggestions. Others suggest to delete a line in the host file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (Open the hosts file with notebook - delete the line with amazon in - if any). Also this suggestion will not solve the problem, as this problem is due to the Amazon server is down.

Logging on to the https server as suggested above works, as the secure server is another than the normal server. This solution will not solve, if you were in the middle of trading something, when the Amazon server went down.

Only solution is to wait until the Amazon sysops have solved the problem.

While writing this Amazon have been down some 100 minutes, so they have used up the downtime the next two years. :-D

Wow. I was just about to ask the same question about Amazon.com

Sometimes I get in and try to search for things but

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

Comes. Up. ( I was looking around their website alot )

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

Newswires are just reporting this. (See Marketwatch.com and Ameritrade.com.) Brief entries only so far. They say that there has been no explanation from Amazon officials as yet.

A google search did find that this has happened before as a result of spyware. However, since it is happening to everyone, I assume it is a problem at Amazon. I'm no expert on these things, but it seems ominous that Amazon itself is offering no explanation. I love Amazon and hope they have not been hacked.

If the lock-out continues, I would check with the links below or CNN.com which will undoubtedly report on it soon.

Yeah - definitely Amazon is down. I hope they get back up soon. I can get to the main page occasionally, but I can't log in. My phone can't get to it either. I can't get to it from my school in NY either (SSH login). Good luck people on the east coast!

East coast is probably mostly the one's screwing with Amazon.com, since we're a hive of geeks in the north east.

Someone on another post said they just started taking orders for PS3 80gb at 1 pm.... that may be why.

stupid PS3 people... why do they have to break the internet?

I'm slowly getting through, you just have to keep hitting refresh on the page you want... (it's the F5 key on windows most of the time).

The login page is a secure session, so your info will be submitted, but good luck with anything other pages that don't use HTML POST (info in the URL) to submit filled information. Bottom line is, avoid submitting any searches and other things where you type-in info and stuff. They may not work.

Amazon had a pre-order for the new Playstation 3 bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4 (after it was posted they were not having one), after I placed my order, the site went down.

I would think it is just overloaded from all the people trying for these bundles. If so, it may have caused the server for the main Amazon site to reboot. If that is the case, it should be back up in a bit.

It's because they emailed thousands of people yesterday about a pre-order of the metal gear solid 80gb PS3 bundle going on sale at 10am today and it only lasted 2 minutes, thus pissing off everyone who had it in their cart, but somehow lost it (me included). Minutes later, epic karma shut down the website for advertising to way too many people without an adequate number of units.

Same here. BUT...if you type an 's' after the http in the site address, it will work (https://www.amazon.com). You have to type in the 's' for every page you go on, too.

This is weird, though...

I am having the same problem. I think that the site may down. Thats unusual considering how big Amazon is.

My concern right now is if it has to do with the battle with New York over the state tax collection