Is the amazon.com website down?

Favorite Answer

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online retailer Amazon.com Inc said its U.S. website was down for about 2 hours on Friday and it was unclear when service would be restored in full.

A spokeswoman for Amazon said the site was unavailable starting at around 13:25 a.m. EDT, but declined to specify the cause.

Users in the United States who tried signing onto the popular portal saw a message saying the service was unavailable.

Amazon's international sites, such as amazon.co.jp, amazon.co.uk and amazon.de, were not affected, nor were its Web services, the spokeswoman said. Two hours after the outage, some users were able to access the site intermittently.

Yes, it's down on the east coast as well. I'm getting the following error:

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

The same problem occurred on the Amazon.com site in 2007. It took them a few hours to get it back online.

An Amazon.com rep stated that the outage was due to a web site upgrade. They may want to revisit their testing procedures.

Amazon.com has an annual revenue of close to $16 billion; they bring in about $30,000 every minute via their website. This outage allegedly cost them close to $2 million. By the time the market closed shares of their stock was down 3.88%, closing at $80.63.

Yes, it seems to be down in NJ too. I checked with my friends in California and Florida and hey say the same too. I remember something like this happen in the past, but that was due to high volumes during Thanks giving weekend. Not sure what the issue is this time of the year.

Yes even here in Seattle there home a rep from Amazon said

only minor outtages for an hour or so ! WRONG !

It's still down here on the East Coast (Pennsylvania).

Yeah, it's down. I'm from the Bay Area, CA.

Down for so long??? Amazing...all the startups using their "reliable" services goes down too...

Down in Cali as well.

Indeed it is. Try it again in around an hour.

I guess its up now... delete the browser cookies and try again.