Experts in American History, could you please reply to this question:?

"In the case of 'United States v. E. C. Knight Co., the Supreme Court

a) held all trusts to be illegal

b) strengthened the powers of the Interstate Commerce Comission.

c) reduced the government's power under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to combat combinations in restraint of trade.

d) held that workers had the right to organize and strike."

Update:

In case you are not aware of this, here is a text which could help:

"Judges used the law's vagueness to blur distinctions between reasonable and unreasonable restraints of trade. When in 1895 the federal government prosecuted the so called Sugar Trust for owning 98% of the nation's sugar-refining capacity, eight of nine Supreme Court Justices ruled in 'U.S. v. E. C. Knight Co. that control of manufacturing did not necessarily mean control of trade. According to the Court, the Constitution empowered Congress to regulate interstate commerce, but manufacturing (which in the Knight case took place entirely within the state of Pennsylvania) did not fall under congressional control.

Between 1890 and 1900 the federal government prosecuted only eighteen cases under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. The most successful involved railroads directly involved in interstate commerce. Ironically, the act equipped the government with a tool for breaking up labor unions: courts that did not consider

Update 2:

monopolistic production a restraint on trade willingly applied antitrust provisions to boycottsencouraged by striking unions.

Update 3:

I think the answer is C), but I would like confirmation.

(My native language is not English, so that's why I'm asking this).

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Correct. "C" is the answer.

The trust problem was resolved in 1911 when Standard Oil was ordered to break up into component parts. Standard Oil was the first great vertical monopoly, from crude to refinery to petro product to distributors, with an international reach.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow. U.S. v. E.C. Knight Co. I'm having a bad Con Law flashback. I believe, if I remember correctly, that "C" is right. I think E.C. Knight was a sugar company and the SCOTUS ruled that since the "manufacture" of sugar was an entirely intrastate activity, Congress could not regulate it under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, enacted pursuant to the Interstate Commerce Clause, despite any monopoly the company may have had.

• 4 years ago

Which answer is your teacher looking for? We can eliminate (a) since the early European cultures prayed to God and the Native American cultures prayed to the gods of their culture. While the Native Americans might have accepted prayers to God within their religious systems, the Europeans would have found prayers to anyone but God to be unacceptable. We can also elminate (d) since tea is a hallmark of English culture (as well as Japanese culture, but that is outside the scope of the question). That leaves "B" and "C"... B -- Gift giving... most European traders carried trinkets and blankets that they could give to Native Americans. The gifts were designed to gain the trust and favor of tribal members and considered part of doing business. It's like a store today offering free food and drinks at a grand opening. Native Americans also gave to the Europeans. If it was not for the generosity of the tribes around them, the Pilgrims and other early English settlements would have been wiped out by starvation. So, gift giving went both ways... C) tobacco smoking -- The Virigina tribes used tobacco in their religious ceremonies and introduced Europeans to smoking the stuff. Soon tobacco, because of its addictive properties, became popular in Europe, leading to the establishment of tobacco plantations in Virginia. The use of tobacco spread to the Ottoman Empire by the 16th century. In a number of tribes throughout the New World, trading could not commence until the trader had participating in a welcoming ceremony where tobacco was smoked or eaten. So, to answer your question, it would depend on the answer your teacher is looking for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.