I found out I am 10 weeks prego. My cycle is always messed up?

I am worried becuase before I found out I would drink 3 glasses of wine every 3 days. Is everything going to be ok? I have stopped now that I know.

Favorite Answer

How much alcohol is too much during pregnancy?

Alcohol and pregnancy don't mix. No one knows exactly what harmful effects even the smallest amount of alcohol has on a developing baby.

All public health officials in the United States recommend that pregnant women, as well as women who are trying to conceive, play it safe by steering clear of alcohol entirely. So do experts at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Pediatrics. What effects could alcohol have on my baby?

When you drink, the alcohol quickly travels through your bloodstream, crosses the placenta, and reaches your baby. Your baby breaks down alcohol more slowly than you do, so she may end up with higher levels of blood alcohol than you have.

Drinking endangers your growing baby in a number of ways: It increases the risk of miscarriage and stillbirth. As little as one drink a day can raise the odds for low birth weight and raise your child's risk for problems with learning, speech, attention span, language, and hyperactivity. And some research has shown that expectant moms who have as little as one drink a week are more likely than nondrinkers to have children who later exhibit aggressive and delinquent behavior.

"Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders" (FASD) is the term experts use to describe the range of problems related to alcohol exposure before birth. The most severe result of alcohol use is fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS), a lifelong condition characterized by poor growth (in the womb, after birth, or both), abnormal facial features, and damage to the central nervous system.

Babies with FAS may also have abnormally small heads and brains, as well as heart, spine, and other anatomical defects. The central nervous system damage may include mental retardation, delays in physical development, vision and hearing problems, and a variety of behavioral problems.

Frequent drinking (seven or more drinks per week, including mixed drinks, wine, and beer) or binge drinking (four or more drinks on any one occasion) greatly increases the risk that your baby will suffer from FAS. But babies whose moms drink less can also develop this syndrome. And babies exposed to alcohol before birth — even if they don't have full-blown FAS — may still be born with some of these birth defects or later exhibit a number of mental, physical, or behavioral problems.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fetal exposure to alcohol is one of the main preventable causes of birth defects and developmental problems in this country. More than 10 percent of women in the United States drink during pregnancy, and as many as 1 in 30 pregnant women drinks frequently or binge drinks. The babies of all these women are at risk.

What about "nonalcoholic" beer and wine?

The term "nonalcoholic" is a bit misleading when it comes to the supposedly alcohol-free versions of beer and wine. In fact, all "nonalcoholic" beers and many nonalcoholic wines do contain some alcohol, typically less than half a percent. Drinks labeled "nonalcoholic" can contain trace amounts of alcohol, while those labeled "alcohol-free" can't.

While few would say that the trace amount of alcohol in an occasional glass of nonalcoholic beer is going to harm your baby, it's something to be aware of — especially if you drink these beverages often or in large amounts. So before you drink up, read labels carefully and remember that "nonalcoholic" and "alcohol-free" aren't interchangeable terms. What if I had a few drinks before I knew I was pregnant?

If you had a drink or two before your period was due, don't panic. It's not likely that it harmed your baby. The most important thing to focus on is staying as healthy as you can from now on — and that should include swearing off alcohol for the rest of your pregnancy.

• DeeGee

It will be fine but be sure and tell your doctor.

Many women drink or even use drugs before they find out they are pregnant.

This is the most crucial time in your baby's development, but as long as you start taking care of yourself now, most likely everything will be okay.

It doesn't sound to me like you are someone with an alcohol problem, and in reality, it is usually women with alcohol PROBLEMS that have a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Everything will be fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now that you know you're pregnant you won't be drinking anymore alcohol, and your baby will get all the proper nutrients!

everything should be fine as long as you dont drink anymore and eat as healthy as you can etc try not to worry we all make mistakes. im also 10 weeks pregnant. good luck.

I think everything is gona be fine, just start taking prenatals ASAP. to make sure you have a healthy pregnancy and the most important a healthy baby.

good luck.. & congrats...

you should be ok tehy say about a glass a day so it evens out to that but since you found out so late your pregnancy will seem shorter so good luck