Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

good books for a freshman to read?

HELP! I need some books to read over the summer! I'm going to be 15 in November, and going into 9th grade. But, I read books that my mom sometimes reads for her book club, and I usually like them. I like somewhat gruesome books, books that make you think, and make you keep reading. I like books about real people's experiences, and how they have become a better person over the years. WWII is also very interesting to me.

Some books I've loved:

- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

- Night by Elie Wiesel

and more by authors like these.

Can anybody give me a hand? Thanks so much!

Favorite Answer

WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams

THE GUNS OF AUGUST by Barbara Tuchman

THE MURDERS OF THE RUE MORGUE by Edgar Allen Poe (the first detective novel in the USA).

HUCKLEBERRY FINN by Mark Twain

THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS by James Fenimore Cooper

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne

LITTLE WOMEN by Louise May Alcott

THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS by Erskine Childers

THE WARDEN by Anthony Trollope

THE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR PLAGIARISM STORY by Theodore Pappas

There is a terrific true story (autobiography) called In My Hands : Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke with Jennifer Armstrong...so good I was reading it while stopped at red lights. Here's a summary/review. Bet you will like it!

No matter how many Holocaust stories one has read, this one is a must, for its impact is so powerful. Irene Gut was a 17-year-old nurse in training, a good Catholic girl, when the war began. Nothing in her sheltered upbringing had prepared her for the horrors she encountered when first the Russians and then the Germans took over, not only her beloved Poland, but her life. She was raped and witnessed murder, starvation, and the systematic elimination of an entire people. However, because of her looksblond, blue-eyedshe enjoyed relative security working as a waitress in a Nazi officers dining room. She was able to use her position to help not only her sister but many Jews as well. At great risk, she hid 12 Jews in the basement of a Nazi majors home, where she worked as a housekeeper, and helped many others by supplying information, food, and blankets. Opdykes remarkable story is simply told, with clarity and feeling. Her enormous courage is all the more compelling because the events in her life are true, and her transformation from an innocent schoolgirl to a determined resistance fighter will inform and inspire readers.Cyrisse Jaffee, formerly at Newton Public Schools, MA

Amy

The Golden Compass is a great book, I know there are a lot of mixed reviews about the real meaning behind the book, but a lot of those reviews come from people who haven't actually read the book. I'm a Christian, I've read the book and I personally don't believe it's about killing God as much as killing ***A*** god. Anyway, it's really good and kind of dark, so maybe you'd like it.

Also, Stones in Water is a really good book about WWII. It's about a boy who is used as forced labor by the Nazis. It's really really good.

Hope this helps some!

Jane Austen, is just one of MANYY to read, read some classics'=]

twilight by stephanie meyers!

the most amazing book ever!