Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What's your impression of the relationship between corruption and religion?

It's easy enough to find examples of corrupt people heading up organized religions. The numbers are almost staggering. But is it because weakness of character is common to ALL people or is it that trust based upon belief without evidence is basically an alliance with corruption right from the start?

Does faith begin with the corrupt act of dishonestly overlooking obvious realities? Are corrupt people drawn to faith or is yielding innocently to faith an initially corrupting first step?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

2 keywords here are: Corruption, and Religion.

Religion is chicanery. If you fall into it, that's your problem.

Corruption on the other hand... is natural. You and I both believe Religion is BS and enjoy ripping it apart... but where do we actually stand when it comes to Society and Culture? What kind of equilibrium do you want mankind to settle to once religion is obsolete? An intellectual utopia? Or a carnal state of survivalism?

Because like I said, corruption is natural. It's part of our DNA. That will never go away. There is no such thing as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. We evolved from apes. Purity is some ideal we created.

So my impression of the relationship between corruption and religion is that the 2 are obviously related, but there's no point in going into that much micro-detail. Because ultimately religion is BS, and Corruption is the antonym of Purity - a man-made word, just as impossible as Relgion. Your question dives below the noise floor.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

First off... there are examples of corrupt people heading up everything from political organizations, companies, charity groups, and lemonade stands.

It's been my experience that the people I have met from the lowest levels to highest in religious organizations are in it for the organization and not out of ego or personal gain. They make enough to get by and everything else goes to the church. When I say it goes to the church I don't mean the guy on top, at least in orthodox christianity, the higher up the more ascetic a lifestyle they seem to lead. It goes to the organization and is distributed to in order to pay for buildings, clergy and laity, and a lot to charity.

Corrupt people are not drawn to faith but lose themselves in the "power" or prestige they may come to find. If they yielded innocently to faith (at least in Christianity and most others) they would have no interest in wealth and power and would not be corrupted.

-Niktacular

• 4 years ago

Science has many questions, many answers — millions. Religion has only one answer; whatsoever the question the answer remains the same. Buddha used to say: You taste sea water from anywhere, the taste remains the same, the saltiness of it. Whatsoever you ask is really irrelevant. I will answer the same because I have got only one answer. But that one answer is like a master key; it opens all doors. It is not concerned with any particular lock — any lock and the key opens it. Religion has only one answer and that answer is meditation. And meditation means how to empty yourself. Spirituality is all about one's individual journey to the Light within. Whereas religion is man-made, spirituality frames the process of personal growth, faith, hope, wisdom, and transformation. Religion means the circumference, and spirituality means the center. Religion has something of spirituality, but only something - a vague radiation, something like a reflection in the lake of the starry night, of the full moon. Spirituality is the real thing, religion is just a by-product. And one of the greatest misfortunes that has happened to humanity is that people are being told to be religious not spiritual. Hence they start decorating their circumference, they cultivate character. Character is your circumference. By painting your circumference, the center is not changed. But if you change the center, the circumference automatically goes through a transformation. Science is knowledge. Religion is not knowledge. Religion is love. The word ‘religion’ comes from a root which means binding together — falling into love, becoming one. Science grows out of doubt. Religion grows out of wonder. Between the two is philosophy; it has not yet decided — it goes on hanging between doubt and wonder. Sometimes the philosopher doubts and sometimes the philosopher wonders: he is just in between. If he doubts too much, by and by he becomes a scientist. If he wonders too much, by and by he becomes religious. If you become too sceptical, you become scientists. If you become too childlike, you become religious. Science exists with doubt. Religion exists with wonder. If you want to be religious then create more wonder, discover more wonder. Allow your eyes to be more filled with wonder than anything else. Be surprised by everything that is happening. Everything is so tremendously wonderful that it is simply unbelievable how you go on living without dancing, how you go on living without becoming ecstatic. You must not be seeing what is happening all around. Spirituality belongs to your essential being, and religion only to the outermost actions, behaviour, morality. Religion is formal, going to the church every Sunday is a social affair. Science comes to atomic materiality and religion comes to cosmic consciousness. Science moves downwards to the last, lowest denominator and religion moves upwards to the highest denominator. They move in opposite dimensions. So science transforms everything into a problem, because if you have to tackle it scientifically, you first have to decide whether it is a problem or not. Religion takes mystery as the base. There is no problem, life is not a problem. The emphasis is that it cannot be solved. A problem means something solvable, something which can be known, something knowable. It may not be known right now, but it is not unknowable. At the most it may be unknown, but that unknownness will disappear and it will be transformed into a known thing. God Bless

• 1 decade ago

Well if you make up stories and reasons without fact to get followers so you can tell them what to do and what to think than that is the purist evil of corruption.

No one in the ancient ages would ever do that.....

Especially when you prefer to recruit followers and have control over them over the option of advancment and progress and discovery...

If there is some kind of real god out there and that god notices a religion trying to save itself by going against progress for the betterment of humanity. Well that religion is pretty much fvcked.... or actually I should say ALL....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Religious leaders advantage of being in those position because many believers assume that their religious leaders are so moral that they would never given into the temptation of deceit, corruption and so forth.

Of course when it does happen, the usually cop-out answers are given like "Oh the devil made me do it" Or "I was deceived by the devil"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

When these salesmen, selling that invisible guy in the sky stuff, they start believing their own BS - they think they're 20 year old warriors - indestructible.

I enjoy watching these clowns fall.

~

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The larger the organization , the more opportunity and temptation there is to take immoral advantage .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

religion and corruption = No connection at all

• 1 decade ago

There is no religion which supports corruption.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well look at Godless communism and how corrupt it is

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.