Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

College Baseball History-Texas A&M 1989?

Vaguely remember hearing that when they lost in the regional finals in LSU's last at bat with two outs,many die hard A&M fans to this day say was the biggest travesty in A&M sports history. Ironic that theres little about the 89' team on the web,hence my question.

They lost only 5 games in the regular season. Almost everyone believed this was the greatest college baseball team of all time. Where can I find any stats,rosters or game results of this 89' team?

Cool tidbit-Both shocking losses were elimination games for LSU. Skip Bertman said this was the best team he's ever had,and the are not one of the 5 National title teams He's said that if All American Ben Mcdonald had not developed a nasty blister on his index throwing finger just before the CWS, they would have won easily. The first time all season,big Ben got ripped, and they finished 2-2.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kent K
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here's what I could find on them;

They went 58-7 overall 17-4 in Southwest Conference games to tie for the conference championship with Arkansas. They were coached by Mark Johnson (who wore #7.)

They were the first A&M squad to reach the top spot in the polls when they did so on Feb 27 after starting the season 13-0. They were ranked #1 in the country heading into the regionals. Arkansas and Texas both went on to play in the College World Series in Omaha.

They played 45 home games, with total attendance of 143,410, for an average of 3,187.

That team still holds the school record for stolen bases with 133. There were no no-hitters thrown by or against them. They hit 32 triples, tying a school record.

They scored 12 in an inning against Jackson State in the NCAA tournament, tying a record. They scored 25 runs against BYU in the tournament.

They swept the series against Texas Tech in Lubbock. They beat Texas 15-6 in one of their meetings, They lost to UT on Satruday, April 15, but won both games of double header the following day, including 18-14 in the opener.

On April 7, Chuck Knoblauch homered and doubled to lead top-ranked Texas A&M to a 9-2 Southwest Conference victory over Rice, inproving their record to 36-1, 7-0 in the SWC. Pat Sweet was the winning pitcher to move to 7-1.

One of their losses was to Arkansas by a score of 11-9 in 16 innings.

Texas Coach Cliff Gustafson called them the best team in the nation that season. "The Aggies were undoubtedly the best college team in the country this year," Gustafson said of Texas A&M.

Catcher Eric Albright, a senior from Rolling Hills, was selected as most valuable player of the Southwest Conference tournament. "Albright hit a grand slam and a three-run homer against Texas for a tournament-record seven RBIs. He is batting .332 with 15 homers and 70 RBIs for the top-ranked Aggies, who are playing host to the Central Regional at College Station, Tex. Pat Sweet, a junior left-hander from Paramount, is 9-3 with a 3.72 earned-run average for the Aggies."

Chuck Knoblauch was the only member of the team to make it to the Major Leagues.

Nine Aggies were drafted that year;

SS Chuck Knaublauch ('87-'89) (#9), 1st rd, 25th overall

3B John Byington ('87-'89) (#5), 3rd rd, 77th overall

2B Terry Taylor ('88-'89) (#17), 5th rd, 123rd

C Eric Albright ('87-'89) (#16), 7th rd, 187th

RHP Keith Langston ('88-'89) (#14), 12th rd, 317th

RHP Scott Centala ('87-'89) (#12), 15ht rd, 387th

OF Kirk Thompson ('88-'89) (#2), 18th rd, 465th

RHP Tim Herrman ('89) (#37), 25th rd, 655th

OF Andy Duke ('87-'89) (#10), 38th rd, 992nd

Other players on the team included;

Daron Dacus (1987-89) #11

Mike Easley (1988-89) #15

Brent Gilbert (1989-90) #30

Jason Marshall (1989-92) #3

Trey Witte (1989-91) #25

Tim Holt ('88-'92) #1

John Wood ('89) #6

Jim Neumann ('89) #8

Jeff Bernet ('88-'90) #13

Randy Pryor ('87-'89) #18

Jeff Jones ('89) #22

Blake Pyle ('88-'91) #23

Scott Daniels ('89-'90) #24

Pat Sweet ('89-'90) #25

Anthony DeLaCruz ('88-'89) #28

Kerry Freudenberg ('87-'90) #31

Sean Lawrence ('89-'90) #33

Chris Finley ('89) #34

Ronnie Allen ('89-'91) #35

Rod Huffman ('89) #36

Their final game: Louisiana State 5, Texas A&M 4-Pinch-hitter Pat Garrity drove in the winning run with an 11th-inning double and four pitchers restricted the Aggies to only five hits, as the Tigers clinched the Central Regional title at College Station, Texas.

Here is a season preview article from the Dallas Morning News available for purchase;

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_pro...

Here is an artivle for puchase about their receiving a regional host bid.

Here's an article preview their regional:

Here's an available article on their loss in the regionals.

If you want to get more info, you should try the;

Athletic Department

Texas A&M University

P.O. Box 30017

College Station, TX 77842-3017

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Tamu Baseball

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yeah good for them. I honestly had no thought at all that they would be in it until they knocked off Rice (who had a great year). After that, I thought there was no way they could be stopped. I'm really happy for them. I was supporting them throughout the CWS final and against UNC. I go to Georgia Tech, and so I'm obviously a GT fan. So I was completely behind Fresno State. I wanted to see the despair on UGA's face when they lost! Hahaha! Good job to Fresno State though. They deserved it. And their starting pitcher tonight was phenomenal.

• 4 years ago

correction to the statement above.....it was John Byington who hit a walkoff grand slam and walkoff 3 run homers to defeat Texas at Olsen field.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can find it on the college teams website

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.