I recieved an unexpected check in the mail?

This check is from RBC Capital Markets Corporation, who has an authentic Bank account with a well known bank. The check is for a lil over $3000.00 but the check is authentic, there is no note attached, no nothing, but it came in a fedex packaged overnight, with a name from someone who is thought to be working for a company that i found he is no longer working for and is believed to be running a scam. Should I call RBC and ask if I can have it or just cash it, whats the consequences if I cash in on it, will they make me pay it back or what. Some body Help

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Do not cash it. It sounds like a scam to me. I would definately call them and ask about the legitamacy of the check. I would also take it to the bank and have them run a check.

Believe it or not I received something similar to that about 3 years ago and I did a google search with the name of the company and the check type but I included the word scam in the search and was like WHOA when I read about how many people had been scammed by the same people with the same check.

• googie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is a company called Capital Markets Corp? Part of Royal Bank of Canada? You will deposit the check in your bank. There will be information about your account and some day you will go to that account and find someone drained it dry. Scam also from a legitimate bank in Vancouver to the states. To think I almost fell for it and thought Why are they giving me money for nothing. If it is too good to be true, It is not true!!

• 1 decade ago

It's probably a scam. But if you want to know for sure, *deposit* the item, don't cash it. Wait *at least* 10 business days before you try to do anything with the money. Worst case scenario--the check is returned and your account is debited for the amount of the check *plus* a returned deposited item fee (if your bank charges one). Yes, you are responsible for the item if you cash or deposit it.

You can try to call the bank to have them verify the item, but with the current privacy regulations that are in force, the bank probably won't tell you anything. Just remember, there is no free lunch!

• Eddy T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The person who you thought is running a scam must have a motive to sent the cheque to you. Return the cheque to RBC with a note that it's not meant for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I would guess this is a total scam.

I suppose I lack a criminal mind so I can't say exactly how it would work, but I venture to say that if you cash the check you will find yourself out 3,000 dollars somewhere downstream...and I don't mean giving back money you got from cashing the check.

• rtfm
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is a SCAM. The check is NOT authentic -- it is likely stolen or forged. Bring it to your bank, talk to one of the bank managers, tell them the whole story and show them the check. Let them evaluate whether it's legitimate or not.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is a scam it also happened to me, you will have to pay all the money back and can sometimes get in trouble for cashing it

• 1 decade ago

Ask the bank!!!

Don't cash it yet, it could be a SCAM

No one anonymous or not would send a random person $3000.00

PS why is everyone's answer, good or otherwise getting a thumbs down? I'm not saying mine is great or n e thing but i'm also referring to others' answers

• 1 decade ago

i would call rbc and ask if you dont and you cash the check you will most likley have to pay it back

• 4 years ago

i assume we elect greater information. unpredicted as in "ask your self, you get money!" or unpredicted as in it wasn't meant to come lower back to you in any respect? no count if it extremely is a examine that has a lots greater beneficial dollar quantity than there became meant to be, you ought to get in a reasonably great mess for cashing it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.