So now eating raw tomatoes is a hazard? What is wrong with the safety & the hygiene of our foods? Is it the?

"Tomato officials weigh in on salmonella outbreak By David Mitchell (June 4, UPDATED 12:12 p.m.) The New Mexico Department of Health is looking closely at Mexico as the source of the tainted tomatoes in the outbreak that has sickened at least 40 people in New Mexico and Texas. Retailers are pulling... show more "Tomato officials weigh in on salmonella outbreak

By David Mitchell

(June 4, UPDATED 12:12 p.m.) The New Mexico Department of Health is looking closely at Mexico as the source of the tainted tomatoes in the outbreak that has sickened at least 40 people in New Mexico and Texas.

Retailers are pulling round red and roma tomatoes off shelves after the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers in Texas and New Mexico against eating those tomatoes raw.

Following the June 3 FDA announcement, at least two retailers, San Antonio-based H.E. Butt Grocery Co., and Cincinnati-based The Kroger Co. pulled implicated tomato varieties off the shelves in Texas locations, according to the Houston Chronicle.

“Ensuring the safety and quality of products sold in our stores is a top priority for HEB,” Winell Herron, HEB Group vice president of public affairs and diversity, told the Austin American-Statesman. “We continue to monitor the situation closely and will return the product to our
Update: stores once it is absolutely safe for our customers.” “It’s really preliminary at this point, but New Mexico gets most of its tomatoes from Mexico at this time of year,” said Deborah Busemeyer, the New Mexico Department of Health's communication’s director. “Preliminary indications are that the tomatoes are... show more stores once it is absolutely safe for our customers.”

“It’s really preliminary at this point, but New Mexico gets most of its tomatoes from Mexico at this time of year,” said Deborah Busemeyer, the New Mexico Department of Health's communication’s director. “Preliminary indications are that the tomatoes are from Mexico.”
Update 2: I googled "Tomato Salmonella" and its not a single incident!
Update 3: If "by official standards, animal food has higher standards that what we consume". should we then immediately beg the authorities at the FDA to raise human food standards to the level we have assigned to our household pets? Or should we wait until the next administration under OBAMA or McCain
?
Update 4: I am sure that homegrown tomatoes are fine but anything from a factory farm w/ or w/o stems, I don't know? Salmonella is serious and it is tied to crap and sewage. Who knows what water shortages will bring? I once got sick from it in China from eating an undercooked duck!
Update 5: I suggest you call the supermarket were you bought the tomatoes and ask them if theyare among those under recall for salmonella!
Update 6: Your comment is offtopic but important enough to corroborate it. You said: "Do you know that some US corporations connive with corrupt foreign governments to bypass USDA and FDA regulations and export expired or about to expire canned goods to other countries?" No, I did not know that but I suspected it... show more Your comment is offtopic but important enough to corroborate it. You said: "Do you know that some US corporations connive with corrupt foreign governments to bypass USDA and FDA regulations and export expired or about to expire canned goods to other countries?" No, I did not know that but I suspected it bec I have traveled to foreign countries where I had to rely on the purchase of expired US canned goods from the US. (eg Africa and Cental America) It strikes me as unethical and unsafe and stupid. Our greedy corporations and certain wealthy & powerful people seem to set bad examples in alot of our economic behaviors and now "the chickens are coming to roost overhead." It's time to ban those practices IMO) Now it's back to the topic of salmonella contaminated tomatoes and other farm produce which is my focus here!
Update 7: The problem extends into 17 states now!
Update 8: Tomatoes pulled off shelves amid salmonella scare By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 13 minutes ago CHICAGO - Federal officials hunted for the source of a 17-state salmonella outbreak linked to three types of raw tomatoes, while the list of supermarkets and restaurants yanking those... show more Tomatoes pulled off shelves amid salmonella scare By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 13 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Federal officials hunted for the source of a 17-state salmonella outbreak linked to three types of raw tomatoes, while the list of supermarkets and restaurants yanking those varieties from shelves and menus grew.

McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Burger King, Kroger, Outback Steakhouse, Winn-Dixie and Taco Bell were among the companies that voluntarily withdrew red plum, red Roma or round red tomatoes unless they were grown in certain states and countries.

In addition, officials at the Los Angeles Unified School District — the nation's second largest — said Monday they have "indefinitely suspended" serving uncooked tomatoes.

The FDA is investigating the source of the outbreak, agency spokeswoman Kimberly Rawlings said. "We are working hard and fast on this one and hope to have something as quickly as possible," Rawlings said Monday.
Update 9: Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, tomatoes sold with the vine still attached and homegrown tomatoes are likely not the source of the outbreak, federal officials said.