Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 1 decade ago

I just burned my finger pretty badly, what do I do?

While making some pasta, I accidentally touched the side of the pot and got a second degree burn (at least I think it's second) on my pointer finger. I already iced it, and its pretty badly blistered, but do you have any ideas how to ease the pain and make it go away as soon as possible?

Favorite Answer

Ibuprofen (or other painkillers) as directed on the bottle, and ice. That's all you can do. I hope you ran it under water first. Going from extremely hot to extremely cold is bad for the nerve endings.

DO NOT PUT OINTMENT ON IT!!! THAT IS BAD!!! Don't listen to that girl who told you to put Vasaline on it. That is a BAD THING FOR BURNS!!! Trust me. Ointments are the worst thing you can put on burns.

Source(s): Eagle Scout, Red Cross certified in First Aid.

the only thing that will stop the pain is ice for about 8-10 hours, by then the damaged nerves will heal enough to stop the pain.

I did same thing about 2 weeks ago and iced it all night, it toughen it up and the blister went away.

• Sorry for that instance of pain. I wish I was more of a Medical field then what I'm now. Just a Retired Air Force Guy. A Medic should have the truest of answers. I was thinking too just use the stuff they have for sunburns. This stuff is made to heal a burn.

I consider kitty kat, you may desire to get that looked at. fairly considering the fact which you're lacking patches of dermis. an infection can set in with burns quite incredibly. i might get it looked at with the aid of a doctor. He/she would be in a position to grant you their opinion and particular some prescriptions which could help. desire you experience greater advantageous!

definitely ice it a lot

my dad got third degree burns and we put a per scribed ointment on it and wrapped it with triple layer non-stick pads and gauze it healed in 2 weeks but his burns were severe

• TEC

Just leave it alone and it will cure itself,just keep it clean,the pain will go away soon.

Vasaline

clears burns completly over night!

aloe (sorry, I'm a little late) I hope it feels better!

i know ice is put on ....

good luck

• Tigger

Let it breathe.