STFU Dude asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

I love having to get any possible treatment pre-approved with my PPO. Is American-style health-care for me?

I guess I just really enjoy having a for-profit company tell me whether it's ok to see a doctor. It's just a good feeling, you know?

Favorite Answer

That's why it's called PPO (Preferred Provider Organization).

If you want to pay more for your health insurance, then get one that's not associated with a PPO.

You are saving a lot of money by being insured on a PPO policy.

That's the reason for the PPO's; to keep the costs down for the consumer.

The United States of America has the best health care system in the world. That's why people come here from Canada, Mexico, and a miriad of other countries to be treated for major illnesses, or for major surgeries.

Welcome to the USA, the best country on the face of this planet.

Source(s): Retired agent, 30 yrs. service

How about this:

Its entirely possible with CT scan and intravenous contrast to detect if there are blockages in the coronary arteries.

Cardiologists prefer to be able to do a multi-thousand dollar procedure called cardiac catheterization for basically the same purpose.

So basically what happens is a safe alternative becomes a pissing contest between Radiology and Cardiology. Also hospitals have a financial interest as well if you can say this guy isnt having a heart attack in the ER then they dont stay in the hospital (empty hospital beds=lost revenue)

I think you are mature enough to realize that this isnt pure greed but for the most part it is.

Now just multiply this over a few dozen medical illnesses. American style medicine is overkill most of the time and 1/2 the medication people are on is either dangerous or ineffective (google Vioxx and SSRI's to get a little of each)

I know what you mean. I worked for Humana for 8 years and 2 for Pacificare. I had a PPO until I found out I was going to have a baby and it was much more beneficial for me to get an HMO. Now I have Humana Gold medicare replacement because I am on disability.

I am just grateful that I am insured. I just spent $2,000 (on credit) for a cat who died anyway. I will be paying that off for 2 years after she died.

If there is anything I can do for you, info wise, I know a little about health insurance.

Dude. You're weird.

But luckily in America, there are multiple ways to manage your health care costs. Luckily, a PPO is one of them, so you're in luck.

Me, I'm in an HMO, so I don't have to get pre-approval. I like it better that way.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years

LOL... you'll love it here.

All public health decisions should be made by people who stand to profit. Let the free market decide which diseases deserve treatment.

Oh, it is the place for you. Wait until you have them telling you they know what's better for you than your doctor.