Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

windows vista nt loading user profile?

everytime i log in now it says "your profile was not loaded correctly , you have been loged onto a temp profile" and now nothing gets saved anymore, does anyone know what this could be? god i hate vista lol.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't have any experience with Vista (fortunately, LOL). However, if it is like every Windows OS since NT 4.0, then it uses a file called ntuser.dat to create your profile. Windows profiles are prone to "corruption" (this is what your problem is called, a "corrupt profile"). To clear this problem in NT 4.0 through XP SP2, you log in as an administrator, and delete this file from your profile. It SHOULD be located in the main folder of your profile. To get to it, click on My Computer/Local Disk (usually the C: drive)/Documents and Settings folder/Your Profile (this is a generic name. Your folder will be whatever your user name is. For instance, I named my profile "Admin"). Once you enter your profile, there should be 2 files named ntuserdat. One is a text file, and the other file looks like a Windows Media file. Highlight both of these files and delete them. This SHOULD clear your problem. HOWEVER, once you log back in as yourself, you will have a new profile, and none of your old files would be saved, so it is a good idea, while you're still logged in as an administrator, to search for and save to a different location any files from your profile you may need.

If these steps don't clear your problem, the next step would be to delete the entire profile. You do this from the Documents and Settings folder. Highlight your profile's folder, and delete it. As always, it would behove you to reboot the computer after deleting the profile, to clear any cached data.

Source(s): Me. Windows Network Administrator for 9 years.
  • 1 decade ago

Restart your system. Press F11, pop in a Windows XP installation cd, and solve all of your computer issues in 20 minutes or less.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

this window only starts in some computers

lucky computers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.