Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

anyone know why Steve Perry didn't come back to Journey?

They have a new lead singer in Arnel Pineda, a new cd, Revelation and start touring 6/8/08 in Madrid. They start their US leg on 7/8/08 in Denver.

Update:

This "kid" Pineda can sing, not unsimilar to Perry's voice. He's been singing since 4 yrs. old at the encouragement of his mother who had him sing to her, her favorite songs while she worked. I believe even tough Journey fans will be pleased.

Update 2:

My thanks to all answerers and for the information shared.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In 1994, Perry released For the Love of Strange Medicine, his second solo effort. The album enjoyed some success, partly due to the Strange Medicine world tour (supported for a short time by Sass Jordan), before being cut short by Journey's reformation.

Journey reunited with Journey's classic 1981-85 lineup in 1996 to record Trial by Fire. The album was a success, entering the Billboard charts at #3 and going platinum before year's end, but its triumph was short-lived. Before the Trial By Fire tour could begin, Perry suffered a hip injury while hiking in Hawaii and was unable to perform. Perry was diagnosed with a degenerative bone condition and a hip replacement would be required. Reluctant to rush into surgery, Perry wished to postpone the tour.

The rest of the band waited until 1998, just over two years after Perry was injured. Growing impatient and realizing the window of opportunity was closing to follow up Trial By Fire with a world tour, they issued an ultimatum to Perry that either he undergo a hip replacement soon so the tour could proceed upon his recovery or a replacement singer would be hired.[1] Perry, still hesitant to undergo surgery and now apparently angry at his bandmates' intractability made the decision to part with Journey permanently. Journey filled Perry's slot with a new vocalist, Steve Augeri, who bears a striking physical and vocal similarity to Perry, and nearly two years to the day after the album's initial release began the long postponed tour.

The tour was a mild success, but due to the long wait between the album's release and the tour's kick-off, as well as the absence of Journey's iconic frontman, fan response was somewhat muted. Interestingly, long-time Journey drummer Steve Smith resigned, reportedly because Journey without Steve Perry didn't interest him. Smith had rejoined, along with Ross Valory, to complete what Perry has referred to as the band's quintessential line-up

Since Journey fired singer Jeff Scott Soto in June of 2007, many fans speculated that Perry would re-join Journey. Perry denied the rumors and speculation later that month when he posted on Fanasylum.com, saying that he has "no such plans whatsoever to rejoin Journey." On December 5, 2007, the band's official site announced that Filipino singer-songwriter Arnel Pineda is the new lead singer.

On March 30th 2008 former member's of Journey's Management Team revealed that Steve Perry had recently played them demos of new material and that his voice was as good as ever. It was further added that at this time there were no plans to "put new material out".

Source(s): wikipedia
    • Login to reply the answers
  • hudes
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Steve Perry Voice Problems

• SPLNTR
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Interview with Journey

posted by Jas, 06/02//08

CBS News has an interview with the current Journey line-up with some comments about Steve. NY Times has a review of "Revelation" the new Journey album coming out this week, it contains 11 new songs, 11 old songs and a live DVD. CD is available exclusively at Wal-Mart and JourneyMusic.com

Valory remembers Journey in its stone-washed denim, pin-up prime, selling out stadiums and scoring eight multi-platinum albums … all on the soaring tenor of singer Steve Perry. But when Perry needed a hip replacement in 1996, the band says it waited well over a year for him to have surgery. When he didn't, they replaced him. It was a split that remains painful, says Schon.

"I've been trying to call him for a long time and he just does not wanta speak. And so we go through channels. We have to go through attorneys, which is really a drag. I'd love to just be able to pick up the telephone and say, 'Hey how ya' doin'? Are you comin' with new music?' I'd love to hear his voice again." And Journey's fans treasured Perry's voice, too. The two other lead singers who joined in the past decade never captured the Perry magic.

How hardcore fans receive this new Journey remains to be seen, especially those for whom Steve Perry will always be the voice. "He set the bar high," Valory said. "He's left us with a very highly-valued legacy of music. And the way I think we all feel now is, we have someone to honor that with." And their Filipino frontman's not just singing those Journey songs, he's living them. "Just don't give up," Pineda said. "I mean, don't stop believin'."

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

anyone know why Steve Perry didn't come back to Journey?

They have a new lead singer in Arnel Pineda, a new cd, Revelation and start touring 6/8/08 in Madrid. They start their US leg on 7/8/08 in Denver.

Source(s): steve perry didn 39 journey: https://shortly.im/SMHKe
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Steve Perry has developed problems with his throat that don't allow him to sing anymore.

• 1 decade ago

I did not even know any of this! I am really excited to hear this...Steve Perry must not want to do the tour thing maybe...I have not heard about him..but oh what a voice!!!

• 1 decade ago

He originally left the touring part due to hip replacement surgery. Last I heard, not only were there some friction with the band about his first replacement singer, there was also some friction problems with his first replacement singers hip. Hope that helps

• 1 decade ago

Throat cancer.

He just can't sing anymore.

I'm going to the concert In denver.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I want Steve back and ONLY STEVE!!! You CAN"T replace him...

Susie

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Professional Singer Tips http://SingingLessons.fastsolut.info/?qdJ4
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.