Is it possible to have one computer with a wired connection and another with a wireless connection?

I have just connected to the internet with a wireless connection from my laptop. I also have a desktop computer at home that my family members use. However, after setting up my router, I can no longer connect the ethernet cable from my desktop computer to my modem. Do I need to buy an adapter or what else can I do?... show more I have just connected to the internet with a wireless connection from my laptop. I also have a desktop computer at home that my family members use. However, after setting up my router, I can no longer connect the ethernet cable from my desktop computer to my modem. Do I need to buy an adapter or what else can I do? Thank you to all who take the time to answer this question.