When will we see an increase in people adorning themselves with the Confagerate flag?

When will all the racists have white only rallies. How about all the closet racists coming out proving some of Wrights assurtions. You heard it here first, from now until Nov. you will see a increase in Confagerate flag statements, it will prove two things 1st what the Cival War was all about and 2nd many people have no intellectual property. Spin all you want about what the flag means to you but the fact of the matter is the south fired the first shot because they, the Southern elite didn't want to give up their plantation lifestyle including having some one assume a position any time they demanded. Watch for this symbol to rea-end it's ugly head.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You mean the same way you display your intelligence by misnaming the Confederate flag?

Over the years, radical neo-Nazi and other anti-American groups have adopted the use of a flag that has absolutely nothing at all to do with them or their ideas.

Perhaps, young man, you need to study a little and learn much. The Civil War had very little to do with slavery, since there were more slaves per capita in the "North" than in the "South", but with states rights and many other government control issues. The top four causes of the civil war were:

Economic and social differences between the North and the South.

States versus federal rights. In 1828 Vice-president John C. Calhoun said if a state felt a federal law extended beyond the Constitutional rights of the government that state had the right to ignore(or "nullify") the law. This concept dated back the Articles of Confederation.

The election of Abraham Lincoln. (Were you aware that even before Lincoln was elected, seven states had already seceded from the union? No, of course you weren't) Southerners saw him as someone whose interests lay with the North rather than the South, and who would continue the increasing financial burdens on the southern states. See paragraph below:

Tariffs and the Nullification Crisis

As industry in the North expanded it looked towards southern markets, rich with cash from the lucrative agricultural business, to buy the North's manufactured goods. However, it was often cheaper for the South to purchase the goods abroad. In order to "protect" the northern industries Jackson slapped a tariff on many of the imported goods that could be manufactured in the North. When South Carolina passed the Ordinance of Nullification in November 1832, refusing to collect the tariff and threatening to withdraw from the Union, Jackson ordered federal troops to Charleston. A secession crisis was averted when Congress revised the Tariff of Abominations in February 1833.

As for slavery, did you know at Jamestown, Va. in 1611 a group of Scottish women and children were sold as slaves? So the first slaves in America were white.

Seven years later in Jamestown the first Africans were sold in slavery.

From 1611 until 1865 people from virtually every society on earth were sold into slavery in North America.

Citizens in each of the thirteen colonies enslaved people, but slavery was viewed as a southern institution after the early 1800's. Along the coastal areas of the South a majority of the slaves were black. In some inland areas whites and Native Americans outnumbered black slaves. In North Georgia slavery was not widespread and a majority of the slaves were of Native American, Scottish or Irish descent.

In 1789 most Southerners, as did much of the rest of the country, saw slavery as a dying institution. Eli Whitney's stolen modification of the cotton gin(1793) created a greater demand for slaves, so rather than "wither on the vine" the institution prospered. The Northwest Ordinance, adopted in 1787 banned the practice in the Northwest Territories. In 1798 Georgia forbid further importation of slaves and the Constitution allowed Congress to outlaw importation of slaves in 1808, which they did. Over the next 40 years lesser skirmishes were fought over slavery including the Compromise of 1820.

Did you know that slavery is still legal in the United States as a criminal punishment, but is not practiced? Nope, didn't know that either, did you? 13th Amendment. http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constituti...

So before you start misnaming a symbol that does indeed have significant meaning to a large part of America, you need to know what you are maligning. It was, in fact, a banner under which many Americans fought and died, and is no less so because people uninformed and mistaken about history believe it to be something else.

So, no, I haven't "heard it here first". I have heard it for years from other people equally as uninformed kneejerk reactionary as yourself.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

An incoherent rant that strive to call those that respect the Confederate flag racists. How nice!

Get a grip. While it's a shame that the what deemed to be the big issue of the Civil War is slavery, not everyone that fought for the Confederacy fought on the behalf of upholding slavery. Many people from the CSA and the USA fought for the Confederacy because they felt that the issue of States' Rights and that little Amendment called the Tenth were being usurped by the Federal Government.

Many people that respect the Confederate flag respect it in memorial to those that fought about States' Rights. Also, many people do respect history and respect the Confederate flag. A lot of hard, sad lessons were learned on both sides of the war. Are we to say Confederate soldiers died in vain? I like to think not. Many stood by and fought for a conviction, which may have been wrong, but they fought for it. They didn't weasel their way out like many people do today. In a way, the Confederate spirit IS the American spirit.

Sadly, many racist idiots took that flag as a symbol as well and use it as a symbol of hate. And sadly, there are people out there that aren't willing to learn history and allow the racist idiots to keep the symbol as a symbol of hate. A question like this just adds to the hate-fueled fire.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It's up to you personally. Don't put "we" in this. Vote for whomever you wish. Do you really believe that anyone who is elected President of the United States would attempt to take the flag at the White House down? Have you seen the photos of Senator's McCain's airplane? Is he disqualified too since he has apparently "disassociated" himself from the flag as well? Hmm.....

• 1 decade ago

Claudiacake, you rock! What a fantastic answer! You've done your homework, as most people don't, and get caught in rants that show how much they know about history. Schools don't really teach history as it was written anymore. It's all been re-touched, cleaned up, and added to. Don't want to offend sensitive minds, I'm thinking. It's why the majority of people know little to nothing of their own history. Ask any school-aged child from another country about THEIR history, and they'll be able to rattle it off lickety-split. They'll even be able to tell YOU about OUR history too. Most of our own kids can't. That's why you've got so much ignorance flying around out there. Of course, studying anything isn't really done much anymore, 'cause too many are too interested in stuff that's quick...instant. Studying takes time. Give Claudiacake the points, she hit the nail on the head. <*)))><

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hopefully never.

Sadly maybe sooner than later.

My avatar is next to this posting.

I have a multi racial family and understand some of what Wright said in essance but not in total.

We are on the verge of a change a very painful one at that.

Pray for unity because we are in for a rough ride.

• 1 decade ago

well...since I am from VA you do see it here randomly....being black I always connected it to meaning something bad...but I have learned that just because you have it or carry the confederate flag does not mean that you are a racist....the guy that fixes my mom's van has that flag and is seriously the nicest and kindest man you will ever met (yes, he is white).....he is the reason that I have changed my mind about people who have that flag....now that is not to say that if I see a white person with the flag i don't get nervous....it is a matter of knowing some1 an hopefully they are not a racist...but yeah I am just posting this to remind you that that the flag has differing meanings to different people and it may not always be a bad thing....though the majority of the times it is

Source(s): ObAmA 08'
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Confederate flag could be banned under Nancy Pelosi's attempt to criminalize any free speech that she doesn't agree with. It will be a brave new world without the First Amendment. Stay tuned.

• spanky
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The "ConFEDerate flag is part of our history, I live in the south and I respect the history of the flag and for you to say only racist have them makes you the racist, should we burn all books that reference anything to do with the parts of history we don't like? And, your reference to the Con"fag"erate flag shows your ignorance.

• 1 decade ago

You won't. You just want an excuse to hate Whites.

Check your history the Civil War was more about states rights than freeing the slaves.

• 1 decade ago

When we, as a nation outgrow polical correctness at all costs, and realize that tolerance really means tolerance for all, including those who continue to recognize our history, good or bad, it is part of our history. Some of my ancestors were Choctaw, the ones who oppressed them rode under the stars and stripes, so should I insist that flag never be seen?

Isn't it interesting that the "Southern Elite" you site were ALL democrats? That the governors who fought immigration in the 60's were ALL democrats? Isn't it interesting that Robert E. Lee freed his slaves long before U.S. Grant freed his?

Liberals live in fear of opposing ideas, in fear of the self reliant, and in this case, in fear of symbols.

Grow up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.