i need help with geometry! has to do w/triangles and angle of depression?

here's the word problem..

Two hills are 2 miles apart. The elevation of the taller hill is 2707 ft. The angle of depression from the top of the taller hill to the top of the shorter hill is 7 degrees. Find the elevation of the shorter hill to the nearest foot. (1 mile = 5280)

i have the final tommorow, so could you tell me how you got the answer, i really need to understand how to do this!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Let AB be the smaller hill with A at the top and B at the bottom.

Let CD be the taller hill with C at the top and D at the bottom.

BD is horizontal ground.

Through A, draw horizontal line AE meeting CD at E.

Through C, draw horizontal line CP with P on the same side of C as A.

The 7 deg. angle of depression is angle PCA.

Because AE and PC are parallel, angle PCA = angle EAC.

(Incidentally, angle EAC is the angle of elevation of C from A.)

In triangle ACE:

Angle AEC = 90 deg.

AE = BD = 2 miles = 2 * 5280 ft.

CE / EA = tan(7 deg)

CE = EA tan(7) = 2 * 5280tan(7) ft.

AB = ED = CD - CE

= 2707 - 2 * 5280tan(7)

= 1410 ft.

• 4 years ago

I have been suffering from post partum depression for the past one year when I gave birth to a baby boy. I couldn't stop thinking about how my husband loves him more than me and how things might be better if he wasn't born at all. Thus, I stayed away from him because I knew that I might do something I will regret for the rest of my life.

Almost instantly I went to a therapist and convince them that I need help. Among other things, I've tried herbal supplements and other book to treat depression but nothing works like the Depression Free Method. So now I'm proud to say I'm one of the happiest mother in the world. My husband loves us both very much and I thank the Lord for the blessing he gave us.

Depression Free Method?

• 3 years ago

Draw the parent. it quite is a triangle with 34º, 39º and 109º angles. Then use regulation of sines (in case you have had that): x = distance to buddy x / sin 34 = 450 / sin 109 (on the grounds that a million a million/2 min = ninety sec x 5 ft/sec = 450 ft) x sin 109 = 450 sin 34 so x = (450 sin 34) ÷ sin 109; see what it is and around it off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.