abbo
abbo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Speed reading?

Does anyone know how to speed read?

Iv heard of people reading a book a day because they can speed read. Is this effectively understanding or just a waste of time.

Anyone know how to learn?

Thanks all

Favorite Answer

I can speed-read, but I don't enjoy it. As a matter of fact it's such a habit now that I find myself doing it whenever the book I'm reading starts to get boring... there are a lot of library books whose first 5 chapters have been skimmed through and returned. I can read some children's/young adult books in about an hour, and some adult books in under 2 hours. I understand and remember them but don't enjoy them as much as the slow ones.

It's mostly a useful tool for research (reading articles, textbooks etc) rather than for enjoying a novel, but if you want to learn how, try these:

http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-Speed-Reading

http://www.speed-reading-techniques.com/

You can also type "speed read" into the search box on Youtube for tutorial videos.

Speed reading isn't all it's cut out to be. I am a very fast reader myself, and the main problem I have is finding books to read. Yes, I enjoy being able to read fast, but it also means I usually have to reread the book to get all the details...I can finish about one to four books a day give or take. Please, if you learn how, consider it whether you really want to read fast just so you can get something down quickly...Remember:

"Slow and steady wins the race."

Though if you do decide to learn how, I have a rather large list of books you could read...

it can be done but you need tomake sure you're processing and getting the info into your long term memory if it's something you need. When you learn to read, you read each letter and eventually recognize words. Speed reading is recognizing phrases or groups of words at a time. I've done it but there are times that I have to back up becuase I'm recognizing the words and phrases but not holding on to the meaning.

there is no speed reading software but there is a trick to use speed reading on pdf

goto your chrome browser

add pdf.js to chrome

then add sprintreader

and enjoy speed reading

I can speed read but i don't know how. i guess i just read a lot. Reading out loud is also supposed to be good for you (it makes you think more and works on pronunciation)