Potty training 3 year old boy!!! Ugh!?

Okay, I decided to stay home for the next two weeks and commit to potty training my 3 year old. He does really well with urinating in the potty and can go standing and is starting to recognize that he needs to go. The problem is bowel movements. He will sit there and push but some pee-pee comes out so he pops up and shouts, "Yay! I did it!!!" He gets an M&M for pee-pee and a Blow Pop for poo. So now, he sits, pees a bit and is demanding a Blow Pop. I keep trying to explain that Blow Pops are for poo-poo, but it's starting to become a "thing" between us. So my question is, how do I start to differentiate the difference between the two so he understands? Am I wrong to use two different treats b/c am I just confusing him more? Help!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Once I helped my sons to relax and feel comfortable on the toilet, they amazed me by not having accidents and trying until they were successful. I used a stable stool with sides for the toilet and they loved going by themselves. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

This stool made all the difference for them and was well worth it. It also helped to put toilet paper over the water to stop splashes. Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Teaching a child to have a bm on the potty is one of the hardest parts of potty training. I would stick to the original plan and only give blow-pops for a bm. Does he have signs that he is about to have a bm in his diaper/pull-up? If so, when you see the signs, even if he has already started to go immediately put him on the potty! Make a big deal if he sits longer and "pushes" to have a bm... as time passes he will get more comfortable with it. Dont be discouraged! He will do it when he is ready! Keep giving him positive reactions and soon enough he will be completely potty trained!! Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

I'm going through the same thing, although we finally started getting the poo. My son insisted for the longest time that he was scared to do it.

Best thing to do is be patient and keep trying. If you aren't already, make sure you dump the poo from any diapers into the potty so that he can see the difference and flush it down. That can really catch a kid's attention.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.