why do people think joseph smith was a liar?

people think he didnt really get a vision and what not.

im just curious

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Joe Smith was a liar and an occultist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TL7EhzWRj0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=6476067EB04FE9CB&index=0&playnext=1

J. Smith does not pass the test as a prophet! He foretold things that did not happen. We was a false prophet and a liar.

He even changed his own account about how he got the plates 2 times!

Ever read "Answers to my Mormon Friends" by Thomas F. Heinze?

"The Proof of a Prophet

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1).

God tells us here that demonic spirits and the prophets who are led by them in their proclamations are out there trying to deceive. God commands us not to be gullible and just blindly accept spirits which claim to be from Him and people who claim to be His prophets. We should obey God, and check them out. How can we find out if a prophet speaks the word of God or not?

"But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him (Deuteronomy 18:20-22).

Two parts of this passage are important to our discussion:

* The Bible (and The Book of Mormon) state clearly that there is only one God. Joseph Smith and the Mormon leadership went on to introduce other gods. This is very severely prohibited in the first part of the passage: "…or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die."

* If a prophet announces something that does not come to pass, it is not of God, we are not to be afraid of him. In fact, under the Old Testament, he was to be put to death.

Is there any way we can tell if Joseph Smith only gave true prophecies which came to pass? He wrote out several of his prophecies in Doctrine and Covenants. The time limits which he set have now passed, and the prophecies are in a book that you can easily examine yourself. Here is a prophecy that Smith gave in 1832:

"Which city shall be built, beginning at the temple lot, which is appointed by the finger of the Lord, in the western boundaries of the State of Missouri, and dedicated by the hand of Joseph Smith… Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which temple shall be reared in this generation. For verily this generation shall not all pass away until an house shall be built unto the Lord…"

This seems to be a prophecy that the Mormons would build a city and a temple in Western Missouri before Joseph Smith's generation died. Have I understood it correctly? In 1870, while many in that generation were still alive, the Apostle Orson Pratt quoted this passage and said:

"God promised in the year 1832 that we should, before the generation then living had passed away, return and build up the temple of the Most High where we formerly laid the corner stone." 10 (See similar quotes from others of that generation: vol. 5, p. 134; Vol. 6, p. 956; Vol. 9, p. 71; Vol. 10, p. 344; Vol. 14; p. 275; Vol. 17; p. 111, cited in Tanner, Mormonism-Shadow or Reality? p. 189). Pratt, and the other Mormons of the time understood it just like I did.

All have now died. That generation of Mormons did not build the city and the temple in Missouri. The thing called for in this prophecy did not come to pass. Joseph Smith did not pass the test of a true prophet.

Some have tried to counter this with another prophecy by Smith given in the same year, 1832, about the Civil War. Read it in Doctrine and Covenants 87. This prophecy was accurate only in stating "the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States" and in the place where the war would start. Even in this it was right for the wrong reason. The war was generally expected to start right then in 1832 when South Carolina opposed a new tax law. It did not, but in 1861, it started in the same place where people had expected it to start thirty years earlier. Those who use this prophecy to defend Smith as a prophet have to ignore other details of this prophecy which did not come true. Here are a few of them:

* "…slaves shall rise up against their masters who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war" (87:4).

* Great Britain would step in to help the South, thus starting a world war, "and then war shall be poured out upon all nations" (87:3).

* "Plague" (87:6).

* Most important of all, "a full end of all nations" (87:6). All nations quite obviously did not come to an end.

Taken as a whole, this prophecy, which is used to brush the false prophecies under the rug, is another false prophecy.

In another of Smith's prophecies given in 1832, the bishop Newel K. Whitney was to warn the cities of New York, Albany, and Boston of judgment if they rejected his gospel:

"Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things. For if they do reject these things, the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate."

Many years have passed. All those people died much as had the generations before them and those after. Joseph's prophecy missed the mark.

There are many more. Check out Doctrine and Covenants 97:19, 111:2-4, Patton was dead before the date set; 124:56-60, a house where Smith's family would live forever and ever. They never lived there. See Marvin Cowan, Mormon Claims Answered, pp. 58-66 for details on these and many more unfulfilled prophecies.

Smith made many statements, about salvation and life after death which you can not check out till after you die, and not too many things that you can. That makes the prophecies in which he gave specified time limits very important. Had his statements been accurate, that fact would inspire our confidence in his more important teachings which we can not check out. The ones we can check were wrong. God commands us not to fear a prophet whose prophecies don't pan out. Obey God in this. Why would you want to bet your life that he is right in things you can't check out when he is wrong in things you can check?

A later president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Joseph Fielding Smith, said:

"Mormonism must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a Prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground. If Joseph was a deceiver who willfully attempted to mislead people, then he should be exposed. His claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false…"

We have examined the evidence:

* In his youth, Joseph Smith was arrested and convicted for using occult practices to defraud.

* Smith claimed to have translated what he called The Book of Abraham from Egyptian manuscripts, though he knew nothing of Egyptian, and his "translation" had nothing to do with the manuscript he claimed to have translated.

* Some of his prophecies clearly did not come to pass.

* From 1890 on, Mormon leaders have asked Mormons not to fulfill a covenant which Smith revealed. He had proclaimed that it was "a new and everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory." This "new and everlasting covenant" required men to have more than one wife if they were to receive full salvation. Since the present Mormon leaders do not agree with what Joseph Smith wrote about your salvation, how can you be saved?"

• 1 decade ago

I am mormon and I believe it, but its because of revelations from the Holy Ghost

If I was just an outsider looking in I would think the whole thing was crazy, too, but not really any more crazy than a lot of religious claims.

This is why I think when it comes to calling things "crazy" I think atheists have more credibility on the subject than other Christians.

Christians can believe in the story of Noah or Jonah or even Christ and that is not crazy, but if a mormon believes in Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon then they are crazy.

That makes NO sense.

• 1 decade ago

Could it be that there is no verifiable historical find to validate a single one of the claims he made concerning the Native Americans? That not one known member of indigenous peoples can be genetically linked to the middle east, and are known to be related to the Asiatic peoples?

If he'd had a true vision, I think that the angel Moroni would have gotten the facts right.

• 1 decade ago

Because of the Lucy Harris story.

Martin Harris told his wife Lucy about how he's helping Joseph Smith translate texts from some golden plates. But Martin Harris had never even seen the golden plates himself. So Lucy decided to do a test: she took part of the documents containing the translations and hid them, and told her husband to ask Joseph Smith to translate them again, and that if Joseph Smith is telling the truth, the translations should be the same. If not, they'll be different.

When Martin Harris told Smith of this, Smith became very angry. But then he prayed and said God told him he will not be translating from the book of Lehi anymore. Now he will be translating from the book of Nephi, thus excusing him for telling the story slightly differently.

In other words, Lucy Harris's trick worked. It demonstrated very strong evidence that Smith was making it all up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • jojo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

i can only speak for myself.

The information he supplied to the world does not fit in with the information supplied by The prophets of old or information in the Holy Bible.

In fact the information supplied by Joesph Smith is in direct conflict to information that is in The Bible.

Further Joseph Smith's information is the type that is prophesied in the Bible as end times false teachings.

Source(s): The Holy Bible. The Book of Morman. The Pearle of Great Price. History. Archeology.
  • 1 decade ago

have you read the description and story of this event? you would need to be very silly to believe it, even if you thought it possible DNA evidence proves it wrong, and the writing style is contemporary to the period with a few biblical words thrown in to make it sound older when it sounds to current for a while.

the whole think is a mochery of inteligent reasoning, although there is a good reason people then bought it. as the native americans aren't mentioned in the bible and people wondered where they came from this answered (poorly) this question.

Source(s): (((((May All Be)))))
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with what mercer said.. Also I would like to add the bible says no scripture is for private inturpretation... Which is what we have here with smith.. Also.. The Christian bible has many accounts concuring with one another..Prophecies that agree with one another and fit together. .Aside from Joseph smiths...There is none other for mormons.... And I find that to be a bit as mercer said..." Suspicious".... Hope that helped....God bless you !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ever had a dream? You could call it a vision and run with it and no doubt with any type of stand you would have a crowd. It's too easy.

• 1 decade ago

Because it is as ludicrous as Xenu.

Obviously he wanted people to worship some type of divine affiliation he had.

He rewrote that book, how many times? Couldn't even remember what was written the second time.

• 1 decade ago

Because none of his stories can be back up with evidence for the lost tribes in the America's... the American Indian would have noticed this strange people wandering around...

The golden plates where supposedly found buried on what would be Indian territory and they didn't know it was there and did not object to him taking something from their land???

too many funny mushrooms in that camp stew...

beware of false prophets and false teachers....

• MSB
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because his story is rather fantastic, and there is no proof.

I believe he was either a liar, or he believed these things happened but they really didn't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.