Something that jk Rowling had done to the world other then write harry potter?

I am doing a project in english about JK Rowling and i have to find somthing about how she has done somthing to the world.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

She had been involved in various philantrophical works during her career.

In 2000, Rowling established the Volant Charitable Trust, which uses its annual budget of £5.1 million to aid women and children, and to combat poverty and social inequality. The fund also gives to organizations that aid children, one parent families, and multiple sclerosis research. Rowling said, "I think you have a moral responsibility when you've been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently."

Rowling, once a single parent herself, is now president of the charity One Parent Families, having already become their first Ambassador in 2000. Rowling collaborated with Sarah Brown, wife of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, to write a book of children's stories to aid One Parent Families.

In 2001, the UK anti-poverty fundraiser Comic Relief asked three bestselling British authors – cookery writer and TV presenter Delia Smith, Bridget Jones creator Helen Fielding, and Rowling – to submit booklets related to their most famous works for publication. Rowling's two booklets, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages, are ostensibly facsimiles of books found in the Hogwarts library. Since going on sale in March, 2001, the books have raised £15.7 million ($30 million) for the fund. The £10.8 million ($20 million) they have raised outside the UK have been channeled into a newly created International Fund for Children and Young People in Crisis.

In 2005, to improve the lot of vulnerable children in eastern Europe, Rowling and MEP Emma Nicholson founded the Children's High Level Group. In January 2006, Rowling went to Bucharest to highlight the use of caged beds in children's mental institutions. To further support the CHLG, Rowling auctioned one of seven handwritten and illustrated copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a series of fairy tales referred to in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The book was purchased for £1.95 million by on-line bookseller Amazon.com on 13 December 2007. Rowling commented "This will mean so much to children in desperate need of help. It means Christmas has come early to me." Rowling will give away the remaining six copies to those who have a close connection with the Harry Potter books.

In May 2008, bookseller Waterstones asked Rowling and 12 other writers (Sebastian Faulks, Doris Lessing, Lisa Appignanesi, Margaret Atwood, Lauren Child, Richard Ford, Neil Gaiman, Nick Hornby, Michael Rosen, Axel Scheffler, Tom Stoppard and Irvine Welsh) to compose a short piece of their own choosing on a single A5 card, which would then be sold at auction in aid of the charities Dyslexia Action and English PEN. Rowling's contribution was an 800-word prequel to the Harry Potter series that concerns Harry's father, James Potter and godfather, Sirius Black, and takes place three years before Harry was born. Rowling claims that she does not intend to return to Harry Potter for at least ten years. The cards will be collected together and sold for charity in book form in August 2008.

Rowling has contributed money and support for research and treatment of multiple sclerosis, from which her mother died in 1990. In 2006, Rowling contributed a substantial sum toward the creation of a new Centre for Regenerative Medicine at Edinburgh University. On 1 August and 2 August 2006 she read alongside Stephen King and John Irving at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Profits from the event were donated to the Haven Foundation, a charity that aids artists and performers left uninsurable and unable to work, and the medical NGO Médecins Sans Frontières. In May 2007, Rowling gave $495,000 to a reward fund of over $4.5 million for the safe return of a young British girl, Madeleine McCann, who disappeared in Portugal. Rowling, along with Nelson Mandela, Al Gore, and Alan Greenspan, wrote an introduction to a collection of Gordon Brown's speeches, the proceeds of which are donated to the Jennifer Brown Research Laboratory

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Aside from writing the Potter novels, Rowling is equally famous for her "rags to riches" life story, in which she progressed from living on welfare to multi-millionaire status within five years. The 2008 Sunday Times Rich List estimated Rowling's fortune at £560 million ($1.1 billion), ranking her as the 12th richest woman in Britain.[5] Forbes ranked Rowling as the 48th most powerful celebrity of 2007,[6] and Time magazine named her as a runner-up for its 2007 Person of the Year, noting the social, moral, and political inspiration she has given her fandom.[7] She has become a notable philanthropist, supporting such charities as Comic Relief, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Great Britain and One Parent Families.

• 1 decade ago

J.K. Rowling has done a lot of things. The biggest one is writing Harry Potter (which is so freaking awesome). Because she wrote Harry Potter many kids and adults have read more and became smarter because of reading. When you read one book you don't normally stop there (unless of course you have to read that one book for school) so these kids and adults kept reading. As a result of that, the U.S. and other countries reading rate (can't remember other word for that rate thing) rose which of course is good.

• LK
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

She inundated the world with: Herself.

Though I have already looked at two answers you have here, I have to say, a billionaire's contributions to any charities...

(and I got a little laugh out of the phrase 'her own money' --is she using other people's money? Of Course, constantly, that is how she HAS over a billion, her own money. People [somewhere] bought/are buying her every day)...

...I have to say that a billionaire's contributions to any charities are the same I learned from a multi-millionaire acquaintance: a way to get out of paying much in taxes.

Really, you'd be surprised how much a few million here and there as tax write-offs (to charities) save the rich from having to pay much more in taxes... The same taxes from which governments allocate (some) money to help the poor and fight crime.

Interesting, isn't it?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She does charity work and has children. In the days when she first started she used to go to schools and talk to children about writing. She is very quiet and likes to stay out of the eye of the media. She has more money than the queen. You can find out more facts and info on wikipedia.

• 1 decade ago

She has contributed to a number of different charities. Most recently she auctioned off her latest novel, a Harry Potter prequel for a charity.

• mantu
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

expensive previous answerer best chum: Harry isn't a pureblood, by way of fact Lily wasn't a pureblood. Lily replaced right into a muggle-born so Harry replaced right into a halfblood. My opinion is that it is not correct what blood status, or in our worldwide what race you're. you may nicely be clever regardless of while you're actually not what society says the clever all human beings is meant to look like, and comparable is going for the dumb human beings. by way of the way, i presumed i could element out, Ron isn't technically stupid, he merely isn't e book clever... he's street clever.

• 1 decade ago

Well she helped out with various charities and she even donated some of her own money as a reward for that missing girl, Madeleine McCann.

Edit: Well thats how we make money. We get it from other people, whether it means being employed by them or by selling something.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

she inspired millions of children to read for the first time

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

amnesty international

multiple sclerosis foundations/MS

animal shelter

cancer awareness

eastern european kids foundation

many more..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.