MELMAC DISHES Did anyone have a set? A really Ugly set?

Back in the '50s, my Grandmother got a set that beats all.They were Chartruce color with black flecks.The plates were square including the cups and saucers.When you wanted to put your cup in the saucer, you had to align the square bottom to fit in the saucers square indentation!

Can anyone beat this?

Favorite Answer

For a wedding present. Bright pink, square Melmac dishes. They were just as beautiful as they sound in this day and age. They were so well liked that my husband stole them when we separated and the police were involved when I went to retrieve them.

• Miz D

I think your Melmac dishes will win the Ugly Prize. I've never seen square ones either. I wonder if they are rare?

I'm still using some of my grandmother's 50s Melmac dessert dishes. Just the right size for a serving of my favorite banana pudding. The dishes are bubble gum pink and indestructible. The plates were white with a "space age" design of pink squares and black lines. I used them all through the 80s but my dishwasher ruined the finish on them and made them rough and stained. Had to get rid of the plates. Several of the coffee cups & saucers and serving dishes are in one of my top kitchen cabinets. Why do I keep those dishes? Sweet memories of Grandma.

I never had the dishes, Corell dishes were the hot new thing the first time I got married.

I did have the Melmac bowls and glasses with the basket weave in them. I liked those.

About 3 yrs ago I bought some new cereal bowls at Walmart that were just like Melmac. Some are white and some black. They are deep and the edge is kinda boat shaped. I love them.

I have to use light weight dishes now so I have new Corell and the black ''Melmac'' bowls I use with them

• Lynn

Aw, she probably thought they were the sign of modern times

when she bought them. That sounds like a 50's retro pattern.

I never saw anything like that when I got my set of Melmac.

I chose a white plate with a long stemmed rose to the side.

The cups were pink with a white saucer. And the salad plates

were white also. I had them for a couple of years, and then

my parents got us a set of Franciscan ware, and I used them

all the time for several years. They were avocado green with

a Spanish looking pattern. They held up better than the Mel-

mac. I somehow dropped a Melmac plate that hit just right,

and broke a big piece out. And they said Melmac couldn't

be broken?

• Gladys

I still have a melmac set from the 50's. I often thought to myself, if only those plates could talk. They're just a plain white with no pattern and the name "Brookville Modern Design" on the back. What makes them so special are all the knife marks, scratches, knicks, scrapes, etc. For some reason, I cannot part with them. I still associate each of those little marks with family meals when the kids were young. Crazy, huh?

Oh, and to your question. I worked with a gentleman who was a teacher and was a wiz at science. He had melmac plates that had the symbol of an atom on them. He loved to bring food into the teacher's lounge on those plates. All I could think of was an atom bomb!

• Leslie

No You win for ugly dishes.... we did have a set that was all different colors. Orange and pea green and 2 other colors gold maybe and possibly brown. Color always mattered to me and I hated certain combination. The cups were small and stupid shaped ( usless if you are a mug person) The plaits were useable but the saucers just ended up being a plait with a cup spot.

MY mother was so happy to get rid of those lovely 40's plates that were all different colors. She replaced them with a set of super ugly gray melmac dishes. My job was to wash them. Along with those changes my mother threw out some lovely mahongey tables and great old lamps (took it out of the trash and said save it for me and I still have it and love it) We got the furniture with the plastic finish that wouldn't ring. That was good for my dad who left glasses everywhere. And then the wingback chair went for a plastic cover looking nasty little chair. The fifties brought some really ugly stuff. I see a lot of it for sale in antique shops and on ebay. I didn't like it then and I sure don't like it now. Some of the best things were fast food and fast cars. . .and cruising. . .

Can't beat your set, but I can

remember that set my mom had.

It was white plates with turquoise

trim, and turquoise cups.

All I remember about white plates

was that they seemed to show

all the 'cut marks' and scrapes

and they all turned a different

color as time went by.

Good old Melmac...it's just like us

senior citizens... been through

a lot but most are still around,

somewhere! tsk tsk

• dora

Yes, got a set of melmac in blue for a wedding present in 1965. They were nearly indestructable. I don't know why they are no longer being used, except that I think they didn't hold up in the heat of the dishwasher. There is one plastic drinking glass that my mother has and everyone fights over when they visit her.

I had several sets of those melmac plates , got as wedding gifts. But none of them with an ugly pattern. You win .