If you meditate, have you gone into a hypnotic sway during medition practice?

Today, while meditating {it's been awhile too~abt 3 mo.}

anyway, went for the 1st time to a zen meditation class--and in around 30 min. into the meditation my body was slightly and naturally swaying

it seemed no one else was except me, but wondering IF YOU have experienced this?

ty

Best Answer

I have read meditation books that suggested "swaying" on purpose, in order to become more "one" with the "flow" of life. I think I recall it happening to me naturally at least once or twice while meditating.

Personally, I don't believe it is harmful or has any deeper meaning than just our body trying to flow with the natural harmony of life.

Though, here is a quote from a website I just found, might have some useful information:

"(8) Smoothness and Roughness: In Samatha (one-pointed concentration), there may be some jerkiness while you are sitting. Sometimes the body tends to sway from side to side or forward and backward. Sometimes the body twirls around continuously. All these movements are due to one's internal tension being too wound up (i.e. one's tension due to stress is quite overwhelming), whilst the physical body is rather relaxed during meditation. This internal/external conflict causes these repetitive movements. There is nothing you can do about it: just let it be until one day your stress and tension are reduced sufficiently that these movements will stop on their own."

Happy meditations!

I meditate on the glory of the Creator; Who has created the Universe; Who is worthy of Worship; Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light; Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance; May He enlighten our Intellect.

No. But I have fallen asleep.

it's different for each person.