Is there any evidence that nutrition prevents and/or cures cancer?

any info or link is appreciated.

as a note, I've heard that since Asia has starting adopting a western type diet (aka McDonalds) there is an increase in stomach and other cancers. Is there any truth to this?

• lo_mcg
    Favorite Answer

No, there is no scientific evidence that any foods can cure or prevent cancer, or affect the course of cancer in any way.

Any claims that nutrition prevents or cures cancer is speculation at best, and reflects the fears and prejudices of those making the claims, who are almost invariably people who have never had, studied or been close to cancer.

Sometimes it's less scary for people who haven't had cancer to 'blame the victim' - put cancer down to avoidable lifestyle factors like bad diet, stress, lack of exercise - than it is for them to accept that cancer is a random disease that can strike any of us at any time.

I used to think that my healthy, organic vegan diet - coupled with the facts that ai exercised regularly and have never smoked - might protect me from cancer. An aggressive and advanced tumour showed me I was wrong.

As Panda says - if it works it should be easy to prove. And it hasn't been proven

• Panda

No conclusive evidence exists that nutrition prevents or cures cancer . . no evidence exists that anything is guaranteed to prevent or cure cancer. Food for thought though . . don't you think that if nutrition prevented or cured cancer than we would all be doing it by now? Cancer is an ancient disease that his been around since the beginning . . its not a new disease . . no evidence has ever existed that what you eat would prevent you from getting cancer . . and no evidence exists that a cancer can be 'cured' by what you eat . . people wish that . . but no one can prove it. If it worked .. shouldn't it be easily proved?

No evidence whatsoever. People that eat only organic and are strict vegans, macrobiotics or obseve the raw diet can still get cancer. Sometimes it is genetic, sometimes other environmental sources (exposure to dust, plastics, cell phones, radio active fallout who knows)