when to go to the hospital?

Ok...I'm only 13 weeks pregnant but I have a question about delvery and labor and stuff.

I was reading about the stages of labor and how you're in labor for like 16 hours but only like the last 2 hours you're actually pushing....so I was thinking what if I just stayed at home for the first few hours of my labour so that I'm not in an uncomfortable hospital for a long time and then just have somebody drive me when I start feeling closer. (I live 5 min from the hospital so getting there in time shouldnt be a problem) I know you're supposed to go to the hospital when your contractions are 2 minutes apart, but that doesnt mean the babys gonna be there any minute does it? so anyways...any thoughts/ advice would be cool!

Favorite Answer

Laboring at home is often very beneficial to you. Rushing off to the hospital at the first contraction is not the best idea.

Think of it like this. When you are in labor you'll generally go through certain emotional stages.

The first stage is excitement. You'll be excited that this is finally it. You may smile and generally feel pretty good. A lot of women go to the hospital at this point and are either sent home or induced.

The second emotional signpost is seriousness. You will not smile at anything and be busy working through the contractions. You will not want to be distracted during your contractions.

The thrid emotional signpost is self-doubt. You may start crying, shaking, saying "I can't do this". This stage of labor is often refered to as "transition" This is the time to go to the hospital. This stage of labor generally only lasts an hour or two.

I highly recommend looking into a good childbirth class now. Do not go to the hospital class. All they will teach you is to do what you're told. I recommend Bradley, Birthing from Within, or Hypnobirthing.

Source(s): Mom of two and a birth doula.

That's what you're expected to do. You don't run to the hospital at the first sign of contractions - unless your water breaks, then you should go in.

Usually labor starts very slowly and irratically, your contractions come maybe every 10 minutes for a few hours and slowly start coming closer together, lasting longer than 60 seconds each, and get more and more uncomfortable. You want to try to go to the hospital when your contractions have been regular 5 minutes apart consistently for over an hour, are each lasting at least 60 seconds, and are rather uncomfortable so that you have to really concentrate on breathing through them.

If you are ever not sure of when to go, call your hospital or your OB.

Source(s): RN, OB, L&D

You have a lot of incorrect information. I hope you will take a childbirth preparation class when you're further along so that you know what to do and what to expect.

Labor doesn't necessarily last as long as you think it does. Everyone is truly different.

You're supposed to go to the hospital when your contractions are five minutes apart and are consistent for an hour. You can and should stay home for pre-labor, which is anytime before your contractions get to that point.

hey there. I was in labor for like 10 hours total. thats including the early stages of labor that werent even painful just uncomfortable. My midwife said to come in when the contractions were 5 minutes apart. we did and i delivered a few hours later!!! forgot to say that i went from 6 cm to 10 in 5 minutes so do NOT believe everything you read. i only pushed for 15 minutes and had NO tearing or any problems so it wasnt a problem that it was a fast labor my body was just ready for it!!! everyone is different you will know when you are ready

Source(s): mommy to 10 week old connor, nurse aise and medical assistant

My doctor keeps telling me to come to the hospital when my contractions are 5-7 mins apart for one full hour. Some labor can be 16+ hours some can be way way less. Talk to your doctor and find out when they recommend coming in. If you plan to take a birthing class they will explain it all also.

Source(s): 37 weeks
  • brandy

Don't trust what you read because when i went into labor with my daughter i was only in labor for 4hrs and i pushed for about 5 mins. So when you think your going into labor, start walking around your house or something and if the contractions don't stop then sit down and relax and stay calm and time them. When they become 4 mins apart or are so painful that you can not speak, then go to the hopsital.

I labored at home for ten hours then went to the hospital and was there for eleven so i wished i had stayed at home longer cause at the hospital it was such a pain to get of bed and do anything because of all wires. But some people say go to the hospital so they can monitor you just in case something goes wrong.

I would say that hospitals now are much nicer than what I was expecting and they have wonderful DRUGS there. I was induced, so I was there for almost 24 hours before baby was born, 12 hours of active labor. I appreciate having the medical team constantly monitoring the baby's heart and myself, and you would be missing out on that.

Don't think of your comfort, think of what is best for baby. Also, when you get a little further in pregnancy take tours of hospital and a birthing class. That will have useful information.

If you don't want to be at hospital you could consider a home birth - your midwife will be present and you can still have gas and air etc. If anything (God forbid) goes wrong, the midwife will know well before you and get you to hospital. Also, my friend is a midwife and she says that a lot of people worry that if something goes wrong they won't get to theatre in time (for an emergency C-section) but it takes 30 mins to prepare the theatre which is the time it takes most people to get to the hospital (less time for you!) speak to your midwife and good luck!

My contractions started at 5am....they were like 2 minutes apart. Pretty consistant too. Get to the hospital and it's the same. 24 HOURS later. ....she's born.

Stay at home as long as you can stand it...but only if you feel comfortable doing so~

Good luck~