Do you believe in the "soul?" If so, what is its function?

Personally, I do not believe there is such a thing as a soul, possibly because I do not fully understand what is meant by the word "soul." I am an atheist, but I have met other atheists who do claim to believe in a soul. Whether you are religious or not, I would like to know if you believe in a soul... show more Personally, I do not believe there is such a thing as a soul, possibly because I do not fully understand what is meant by the word "soul." I am an atheist, but I have met other atheists who do claim to believe in a soul. Whether you are religious or not, I would like to know if you believe in a soul and, if so, what it is and what purpose it serves. Your answers are appreciated.

Thank you.

AM
Update: I'm afraid I still don't understand or believe in a soul. It seems everyone has a different definition. I especially liked james' definition that "You soul is what tells the brain to make the body act." This seems to suggest that the soul is the brain's brain, in a sense. Interesting.