what is the wiccan religion?

i think it's interesting but i need more information on it

i'm thinking changing religion and i'm thinking to the wiccan religion, but i need to more information and how can learn and read about it

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Wicca is a religion. There are many different and distinct traditions and paths in Wicca and some worship alone as solitaries and some worship with others in circles, covens, or groves. Different Wiccans will give you different answers about "What Wicca is", but there are 3 things that are pretty universal.

Wiccans honor both male and female deities, Goddess and God. Wiccans celebrate 8 holidays throughout the year (sabbats). Wiccans embrace the Wiccan Rede which states, "An it harm none, do as ye will".

There is much more that could be written about the above statements, and there is much more to the religion. I would suggest this site;

http://wicca.timerift.net/

It is the best current site for basic information on Wicca.

For networking and also a wide selection of articles (some good, some not so good as they are user submitted), try this site:

http://witchvox.com/

There are 3 books I recommend as well. Wicca: Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham is a common first read for many, is easy to find and very accessible. Essential Wicca by Daniels & Tuitean is my preferred basic Wicca book as it's very comprehensive, has accurate history and includes a very good glossary. Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton is the best book to date on the history of Wicca and should be read by everyone new to Wicca so you can sort out the myth from the fact.

• 1 decade ago

A polytheistic Neo-Pagan nature religion inspired by various pre-Christian western European beliefs, whose central deity is a mother goddess and which includes the use of herbal magic and benign witchcraft.

A group or community of believers or followers of this religion.

Most Christians will not admit this but as far as other religions go Wicca is not a bad way to live. Some basic Christian thoughts are from Wicca. As well as some other pre-christian practices. There is a ton of things taken from the Pagans that Christians practice on a daily basis.

• Aravah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

1) ignore the nitwits who say it's not a religion

2) ignore the nitwits who say it'll lead you to hell (Wiccans and pagans don't believe in it)

3) www.witchvox.com www.wicca.timerift.net

4) Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. Amazon.com used books is a great resource

5) Avoid books by Silver Ravenwolf and DJ Conway

6) hang in there.

7) Do NOT give out personal information over the internet, especially contact info.

Source(s): pagan since 1982
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The "Wiccan religion" is Wicca.

And yahoo.com is a search engine. So go use it. Scroll up to the very very top and enter "Wicca", then click "Web Search".

Chances are you'll get the wikipedia entry in the top 5 search results.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Please google 'Fiona Horne' she is a witch based in LA and has really cool info on witchcraft. Wicca is a very peacefull religion and they are very in touch with nature. Witches gather for various festivals throughout the year so it might be a good start to find out when there is a gathering near to you,so you can talk to other like minded people. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Did you even bother searching?

Wicca is an earth based religion focusing on the elements, sabbats, spells, etc. It is often called Witchcraft. It was started in 1949.

Try searching. This is a very broad topic with a HUGE array of resources on the web already. I know this is yahoo, but 'google it'

• 1 decade ago

Wicca is a modern survival of an old witchcraft religion which existed in secret for hundreds of years, originating in the pre-Christian paganism of Europe.

Each lineage has distinctive beliefs, rituals, and practices, and most remain secretive and require that members be initiated.

Wicca is a pagan religion with distinctive ritual forms, seasonal observances and religious, magical and ethical precepts.

Wicca is a variety of witchcraft founded on religious and magical concepts. As such it is distinguished not only by its beliefs, but by its practice of magic, its ethical philosophy, initiatory system, organisational structure and secrecy

I wonder what it is about this belief that is so interesting to you?

• 1 decade ago

Wiccan is the class of the religion. While most are of the earth worshiping variety (worshiping the old gods) a wiccan can also have other basis for their belief, including Christianity.

Try to stir a silver cauldron

or the ride a silver broomstick.

• 1 decade ago

Whenever a question starts with " What is...." it usually means the person doesnt know what a search engine is. There is Yahoo and Google. Just type Wicca in the search and you will get the answers. Heres a link to a Google search and there are 10,600,000 pages to look at.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie...

• Scott Cunningham is the best for beginners. Stay away from Silver Ravenwolf.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.