is mini cooper made by bmw?

Favorite Answer

Wow. One person got it right.

Mini is made by MINI. That's the name of company. That company is part of the BMW Group. Like Chevrolet is part of GM. Do you say a Corvette is made by Chevrolet or GM? The badge on the MINI, is the Mini Cooper badge, NOT the BMW roundel.

The engines are NOT made by BMW. From 2002-06 they were made by Tritec in Brazil, and the engine was a Chrysler design. A very good one too! From 2007 onwards, the engine is made by Peugeot/Citroen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINI

• Tara5 years agoReport

You are incorrect sir. Sorry. the papers that came with my MINI say "Built by BMW factory Oxford, England." finished production at BMW factory on June 6th. Also, my engine block says "Made by BMW"... therefore you are incorrect.

Bmw Mini Cooper

Rover group, a British automobile manufacturer that originally produced the mini, was purchased by BMW in 1994. In 2000, Rover group was separated by BMW but BMW kept the mini design. Currently, mini is owned by BMW.

BMW bought Mini Cooper Corporation in 1994 and started building Mini Coopers in the early 2000's.

They use motors made by BMW, but Mini is just a subsidiary of the BMW Corporation.

• Karen

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/VlIEk

Mini Coopers are front drive, all BMW's (in the US at least) are rear or all wheel drive, so no, it's not like driving a BMW. Mini's are amongst the best driving FWD cars though, so they do have good driving characteristics in common - but they are different to drive.

My MINI cooper engine says made in Germany at the BMW factory.. Look right on your engine block. It says date, location, & who built it right on it.

• Tara5 years agoReport

I misspoke. Not Germany. I meant England. Pardon me. In addition. The papers that came with my car say it finished production June 6th, left the BMW factory in Oxford on June 7th & was shipped via cargo ship to the US. I even have the cargo container number.

The brand is owned by BMW but it doesn't make the MINI a BMW. Just like the above reference, where someone noted the relationship between Smart and Mercedes-Benz.

Indeed they are. BMW bought the company from the Rover group and are producing the new Mini in a plant near Oxford, England.

Noooooooooo. :0

Nope. It is just marketed by BMW for the USA.