MissEmilie asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Laws for agressive breed dogs in Kentucky?

I have a pitbull/boxer that will be two years old in October. She has recently been getting protective over her home, which is fine with me. My concern is that, while she was tied up out front one day, she tried to bite my neighbor's brother. This hasn't ever happened before but I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to get some beware of dog signs to put on the tree out front and on my front door, but am not sure what else I should do. (She has never been agressive toward the children in the neighborhood either, but when we got her we did make sure that all the neighbors knew what kind of dog she is and told them not to let their children play around her just in case.)

I'm very concerned about this because I know the general feelings toward pitbulls and breeds mixed with them. I don't want to take any chances of her hurting someone or of me losing my dog. What else should I do to keep her, us and our neighbors safe?

We got her when she was about 7 weeks old and have worked with her the entire time to ensure she isn't too agressive. She is great when we are with her. It seems to only be this one guy she has a problem with. (He and my boyfriend walked up to her at the same time and she was fine. Then Tim backed up and she lunged at the other guy.) Now, my thought is that there's something about him that she doesn't like and he doesn't need to be around our house, but I'm concerned about what could happen if we're not home with her. We're getting a new dog house for her so we can put her out back. We're also renting the place (duplex, actually) and can't fence our yard.

Oh, another thing about the kids in the neighborhood:

We do allow them to interact with her on a supervised basis. (Meaning the children's actions are supervised.) As long as there are adults there to make sure the kids aren't hitting her or being mean to her at all, they're allowed to play with her. Tim has little ones, too, who play with her all day long when they're here visiting. She loves them dearly! I just didn't want some of the not-so-nice kids in the neighborhood (trust me, there are some) to come up and torturing her while their parents aren't looking. Luckily, the parents took what we said to heart and at least one adult is in the cul de sac at all times when the kids are playing together.

Favorite Answer

Chaining your dog creates insecurity and severely increases the likelihood of stress and boredom. It can also increase aggression. If the dog can't retreat from what it perceives to be a threatening situation, it becomes fearful and is more likely to bite to protect itself.

The breed is NOT an aggressive breed (either breed). If she has been well socialized, spayed and is a family pet (inside the home), you don't have to worry about aggression issues. Not letting her meet the children has not protected either her or them. She's better off meeting as many people in the neighborhood, children included, as possible. Have you taken her through training? If you haven't, I would enroll in a weekend training class. The better trained she is, the less you have to worry as well. If she isn't fixed and spends all of her time in the yard, you will eventually have problems. She won't feel a member of your pack. Your yard will become her territory. Since you aren't a pack member, she can defend it even against you. Also, the more time she spends chained or tied, the more issues you're going to have.

If you want to keep her safe, which is very admirable, you need to start to socialize her. The less she knows other people, the more protective she becomes of you.

Do NOT discipline her for growling. If you stop her from growling, you have taken away the one warning sign that most people can read before a dog bite. This is a mistake many owners make, then they seem surprised when the dog "bites with NO warning." Well, why would it warn you if it's going to get sprayed with water for doing it? If there is any human aggression being shown at all outside of the yard, you need to consult a behaviorist. Human aggression is not normal in ANY breed and the dog may need to be humanely euthanized.

You should be very concerned about this, it sounds like a bite waiting to happen.

"What else should I do to keep her, us and our neighbors safe?"

Keep her inside and/or erect a sturdy fence no less than 6 feet tall (preferably 8-10 feet tall). Statistics prove that chained dogs are MUCH more likely to develop aggression and bite/maul humans if they are chained regardless of breed or sexual status. Chained dogs tend to become overly territorial or fearful (because they have no option to run away, their only choice is to bite). Keeping a dog on a chain in a neighborhood with children is just an open invitation for tragedy. Don't leave her outside on the chain unattended. The other thing you should be doing for her is taking her to obedience classes and training her. If she isn't already spayed, then get it done. It won't undo bad habits already learned, but neutered animals are much less likely to bite than intact animals simply because they don't have a hormonal reason to do so.

One final note, I would be hesitant about putting up a beware of dog sign. More and more these postings are being successfully argued in court as an admittance to harboring an animal you KNEW to be a danger to others. If she did bite someone, they could sue you and argue that you knew your dog was likely to bite because you have these signs posted.

Thye can be very aggressive when protecting their home. First you need to insure that the dog stays in your yard at all times and have signs posted for those who chose to come into your yard. A chain isn't enough. Make sure you have a fence or electric collar fence. You should start disciplining against certain aggressivenesses. Keep a water spray bottle on hand and give her a spritz of discipline when she acts too aggressive toward certain people. If you allow her to be aggressive toward people, she will make a habit of it.

Source(s): family breeds/trains dogs

You sound like a very concerned owner, my best thought would be to keep her inside, or in a yard with a fence, dogs kept tied up, especially in their own territory are bound to be more aggressive, because they feel like they cannot defend themselves, and that the intruder may try to hurt the land/family.

Edit: I know that in the state that I live in, one attack and the dog has to be rehomed, two and it is put down. If the first attack is life threatening, or overly damaging, then the dog is put down right away.

Source(s): My friend was attacked by a collie in our neighborhood who had an electric fence, the dog used to chase the garbage man, but had never been violent, my friend needed five stitches in her leg. The dog had to be rehomed, so the breeder took him, the needed a guard dog as there had been a string of robberys nearby.

Some cities in Kentucky have attempted to pass some very harsh dog ordinances- at times Pit Bull and mixes were targeted. You might want to call a local rescue group in your area to get the scoop on the possible legislation in your area.

Thank you for your concern about your dog's behavior and the potential effect it can have on your neighbors and the breed at large. Your dog is lucky to have such a concerned owner.