What is the boiling temperature for grease?

Ok so me and my friend were cooking bacon and we, being random people, wondered what grease's boiling temperature is....so what is it?

Oh and one more: why do onions make you cry??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on the grease. However, any type of oil/fat will burn before it ever gets to the boiling point. Oils/fats are catorgized by two different temperatures: The smoke point and the flash point. The smoke point is the temperature that the oil begins to smoke (obvioulsy). The flash point is the temperature at which the oil catches on fire. Deep frying is done at 350 F to 375 F. Frying oil does not boil at this temp. The best oils for frying are peanut, canola and rice oil, as these have very high smoke points. Extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point of about 250 F. It cannot be used for deep frying. I looked up the smoke point for bacon grease. The closest thing I could find was lard, which is fat from hogs (I don't know how its processed, but I'm assuming its equivelent to bacon grease). The smoke point for lard is 370 F.

As for onions, this is from wikipedia:

"As onions are sliced, cells are broken, allowing enzymes called alliinases to break down amino acid sulphoxides and generate sulphenic acids. Sulphenic acids are unstable and spontaneously rearrange into a volatile gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide. The gas diffuses through the air and eventually reaches the eye, where it reacts with the water to form a diluted solution of sulphuric acid. This acid irritates the nerve endings in the eye, making them sting. Tear glands produce tears to dilute and flush out the irritant.[16]

Supplying ample water to the reaction or chewing gum while peeling onions prevents the gas from reaching the eyes. Eye irritation can, therefore, be avoided by cutting onions under running water or submerged in a basin of water. Rinsing the onion and leaving it wet while chopping may also be effective. Another way to avoid irritation is by not cutting off the root of the onion, or by doing it last, as the root of the onion has a higher concentration of enzymes.[17] Using a sharp blade to chop onions will limit the cell damage and the release of enzymes that drive the irritation response. (Having a sharp knife and keeping the root of a halved onion on until the end also reduces the risk of cutting yourself if your knife slips). Chilling or freezing onions prevents the enzymes from activating, limiting the amount of gas generated. Having a fire, such as a candle or a burner, will help as the heat and flames will draw in the onion gas, burn it, and then send it up with the rest of the flame exhaust.[citation needed] In the heat, the chemical changes such that it no longer irritates the eyes.[citation needed] The volume of sulfenic acids released, and the irritation effect, differs among Allium species".

Having worked in restaurants for many years, I can tell you that the best method is to peel the onion and let it sit, uncovered, in the refridgerator overnignt. Also, if you wear contact lenses, the onions will not make you cry.

• 4 years ago

both are roughly the same except when it comes to protein. ALMOST ALL veggies include a respectable amount of protein; fresh fruit does not.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Vaporization of oils and fuels is the steps just before combustion in efficient burners.

• ai
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Bacon Fat Smoke Point

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

350-400 degrees.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.