Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

dishwasher and electricity bill?

v just bought a house and was wondering about using dishwasher, how much it will cost in bill, if I use it (by not using water heater and drying option)

• Favorite Answer

when I stopped using my electric dryer (hanging them on the line outside instead) and stopped using the dishwasher I noticed a $150-$200 less on my electric bills. But then I turn off the computer after using, use the new squirrely light bulbs, and dont use ac when it is 80 degresss or below, hand wash dishes, turn light off when leaving a room, dont use lights at night (tv throws enough light off-60 inch tv), use microwave not stove or oven (this adds heat to house then you need ac to cool house back down). So when I do all these it saves me even $100 more off the bill.

• Tomcat

I can't give a dollar amount but from what i've read using a dishwasher is less expensive than doing dishes by hand because it uses less water. Motors on dishwashers have small motors that operate the pump.

• Boggy

Don't worry about it, it is cheaper than keep washing up by hand. You must use the water heater though for hygiene and the dryer to avoid wet dishes. Dishwashers make the dishes much cleaner and more hygienic and actually wash up better than you.

DId you know that a fan in one room uses $7.00 a month to run. Also try an unplug everything that you are not going to use for that day and you will save aprox. $20 to $30 a month.(in an average size house) approx 1,700 sq ft house! Anything plugged in, even though it is not running still uses energy. It all adds up.

the dishwasher is much cheaper. mostly for water usage they will ony use about 5 -8 gallons of water each load. wahing you dishes by hand you will use atleast about 20 gallons. the enery difference really isnt that different

maybe 4 to 8 dollars a month, if you use it every other day....