JEHOVAH WITNESSES?? Why are you called, "Jehovah's Witnesses" and not "CHRISTIANS"?

If the name "Jehovah" is so important, then why does Acts 4:12 say, "There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name [v10 Jesus Christ] under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved"?

Couldn't you be named "Christ Witnesses" after our Savior "Christ"? instead?

Best Answer

Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians. In fact, the formal name of their religion is the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course, "Christian" comes from Acts 11:20-26;26:17-28 and 1 Peter 4:14-16 while "Jehovah's Witnesses" comes from Isaiah 48:10,12 and Heb 11:39;12:1. It seems remarkable to object when every word of the title carries such a plainly Biblical identification with God and Christ.

The Bible does not actually teach that merely uttering any name can magically provide salvation. A Christian’s faith in Christ Jesus is certainly not independent of his devotion to God Jehovah.

.. ..(Acts 4:10-12) Let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you impaled but whom God raised up from the dead, by this one does this man stand here sound in front of you. ...Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.

.. ..(1 John 4:14) The Father has sent forth his Son as Savior of the world

.. ..(John 3:17) God sent forth his Son into the world... for the world to be saved through him.

.. ..(Acts 5:30,31) The God of our forefathers raised up Jesus... God exalted this one as Chief Agent and Savior

.. ..(Acts 2:21, YLT) whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, he shall be saved.

.. ..(Acts 2:21, NWT) And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.

Anti-YHWH activists criticize the latter translation (New World Translation), arguing that the divine name "Jehovah" (or "YHWH" or "יהוה") does not belong at Acts 2:21 because Peter did not intend that name when he spoke this speech. The anti-YHWH activists could not be more wrong!

At Acts chapter 2, the apostle Peter was quoting at length from Joel chapter 2, in the Hebrew Scriptures (the so-called "Old" Testament). Note exactly what name was used by the bible writer Joel at Joel 2:32. Both passages are here quoted from Youngs Literal Translation, which faithfully renders the name Jehovah when it undeniably appears in the "OT".

Acts 2:14-38, YLT) Peter having stood up with the eleven, lifted up his voice and declared to them, 'Men, Jews! and all those dwelling in Jerusalem, let this be known to you... 16 'But this is that which hath been spoken through the prophet Joel: 17 And it shall be in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 and also upon My men-servants, and upon My maid-servants, in those days, I will pour out of My Spirit, and they shall prophesy; 19 and I will give wonders in the heaven above, and signs upon the earth beneath -- blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke, 20 the sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the coming of the day of the Lord -- the great and illustrious; 21 and it shall be, every one -- whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, he shall be saved. ...37 And having heard, they were pricked to the heart; they say also to Peter, and to the rest of the apostles, 'What shall we do, men, brethren?' 38 and Peter said unto them, 'Reform, and be baptized

.. ..(Joel 2:28-32, YLT) And it hath come to pass afterwards, I do pour out My Spirit on all flesh, And prophesied have your sons and your daughters, Your old men do dream dreams, Your young men do see visions. 29 And also on the men-servants, and on the maid-servants, In those days I do pour out My Spirit. 30 And I have given wonders in the heavens, and in the earth, Blood and fire, and columns of smoke. 31 The sun is turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, Before the coming of the day of Jehovah, The great and the fearful. 32 And it hath come to pass, Every one who calleth in the name of Jehovah is delivered

Clearly, the apostle Peter and his Hebrew-speaking audience were all quite familiar with the words of Joel, in the original Hebrew language. Is there any possibility that Peter would have intentionally misquoted Joel 2:32? No, especially not to an audience of Jews who all spoke Hebrew themselves. Really, the ONLY faithful rendering of Peter's quote from Joel would be the wording of the NWT:

Of course, the apostle Paul also directed his words to Jews and former Jews in Rome. As a Hebrew scholar writing to an audience fluent in Hebrew, Paul also quoted repeatedly from the Hebrew Scriptures. Paul's letter to the Romans was more than a decade after Peter's famous speech at Acts chapter 2, so Paul's audience would likely have understood that Paul was quoting Peter's recitation of Joel at Romans 10:13.

.. ..(Romans 10:13) For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

.. ..(Acts 2:21) And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”’

.. ..(Joel 2:32) And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe

Of course, the name "Jehovah" is merely the most common English translation of "YHWH" or "יהוה". There are dozens of other respectful translations of "יהוה" that better suit the lingual tendencies of other languages. The important thing is to recognize that Almighty Jehovah wants his worshippers to use his personal name, in whatever language they speak.

Just because we're called Jehovah's Witnesses that doesn't mean that we're not Christians. We are Christians. We believe in Jesus and we read the Bible.

I love it when people who have no idea answer questions.

Jesus was a witness for Jehovah and Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves Christians, but more closely fashioned after the first century Christians before all the Apostles died.

First of all, witnesses were called Bible Students and some referred to them as Russellites. Witnesses adopted the name Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1931. Russell originally did not want them named other than to just be called Bible Students. But they did finally adopt the name using scriptures like Isaih 43:12 ""you are my Witnesses" says the Lord"

If you have ever taken the time to listen to a JW or go to a meeting, Jesus is a primary focus. God appointed Jesus to basically sit in His stead ("place" for you young ones). Jesus only desire was to do his Father's will which he done so perfectly that he told his followers at 1Peter 2:3, "He that hath seen me hath seen the Father". There are other scriptures that tell us that noone can see God and live, so Jesus was telling them that his actions, persona, beliefs, etc mirror those of Jehovah. Since Jesus gave his life to buy back what Adam lost, he became "Savior" to many. That was God's will.

What about the pronouncing of God's name. Some Witnesses call God by Yahweh and there are other acceptable translations. If I am called Jose instead of Joseph by my mexican friends, I don't disown them. If Jehovah is not the proper translation, I'm sure when the time comes the God of Love will tell us rather than destroy us.

Don't some of y'all feel silly now.

Source(s): Bible and Watchtower

At Rev 1:5, Christ is called: "The Faithful Witness".

The entire Jewish nation was told:

"You are my Witnesses", is the utterance of Jehovah, "...that I am God". (Isa. 43:10-12)

Since Jesus was born an Israelite,

he was born into a nation of witnesses of God,

and, *he* became the *foremost* of Jehovah's witnesses,

is it not logical that his footstep followers

would call themselves, "Jehovah's Witnesses" ?

http://watchtower.org/e/jt/

Cute. So many questions on here today, start with inaccuracies. I am a Christian, one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I have found that the word "name" in the Bible often refers to one's reputation rather than their literal identity. A good example is found at Ecclesiastes 7:1, where it says that a good name is better than fine oil. This seems to hold true in many instances where God is the one referred to. It even holds true in the commandment to baptize in the NAME of the Father, son, and holy spirit. It's not referring to literal names, but rather the reputations of these.

In the case of Acts 4:12, it seems to indicate a literal name, because in many instances throughout the NT, Jesus' literal name was spoken and used to perform miracles and cast out demons. In short, I believe that JWs place too much emphasis on the literal name of "Jehovah" whereas the Bible stresses the importance of his reputation. However, Jesus' literal name was used in connection with good works and salvation. The use of his name seems to carry more weight, especially as regards mankind, than the use of the name Jehovah.

Our religion Christianity is indeed named after Jesus Christ.

Jehovah’s Witnesses? Yes, that is the way they refer to themselves. It is a descriptive name, indicating that they bear witness concerning Jehovah, his Godship, and his purposes. “God,” “Lord,” and “Creator”—like “President,” “King,” and “General”—are titles and may be applied to several different personages. But “Jehovah” is a personal name and refers to the almighty God and Creator of the universe. This is shown at Psalm 83:18, according to the King James version of the Bible: “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.”

The name Jehovah (or Yahweh, as the Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible and some scholars prefer) appears almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew Scriptures. Most Bibles do not show it as such but substitute “God” or “Lord” for it. However, even in these Bibles, a person can usually tell where the original Hebrew text uses Jehovah because in those places the substituted words are written in large and small capitals, thus: GOD, LORD. Several modern translations do use either the name Jehovah or the name Yahweh. Hence, the New World Translation reads at Isaiah 42:8, “I am Jehovah. That is my name.”

The Scriptural account that Jehovah’s Witnesses draw on for their name is in the 43rd chapter of Isaiah. There the world scene is viewed as a courtroom drama: The gods of the nations are invited to bring forth their witnesses to prove their claimed cases of righteousness or to hear the witnesses for Jehovah’s side and acknowledge the truth. Jehovah there declares to his people: “Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am Jehovah; and besides me there is no saviour.”—Isaiah 43:10, 11, American Standard Version.

Jehovah God had witnesses on earth during the thousands of years before Jesus was born. After Hebrews chapter 11 lists some of those men of faith, Hebrews 12:1 says: “So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Jesus said before Pontius Pilate: “For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth.” He is called “the faithful and true witness.” (John 18:37; Revelation 3:14) Jesus told his disciples: “You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth.”—Acts 1:8.

Hence, over 6,800,000 persons today who are telling the good news of Jehovah’s Kingdom by Christ Jesus in over 230 lands feel that they properly refer to themselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

For further information & learn more - you may wish to get in touch with the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses at the local Kingdom Hall. Or: <watchtower.org>

We call ourselves Jehovah's Witnesses because we ARE Christians.

What do true Christians do? “For Christ suffered for you and left you a personal example, so that you might follow in his footsteps.”—1 PETER 2:21

What does following in someone's footsteps mean? Doesn't it mean to do as they do, and think as they think? Shouldn't we follow Jesus' example?

So ask yourself, what did Jesus do? How does he think? "...because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me. (John 6:38) and Jesus also said, “My food is for me to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work.”—John 4:34. Who sent Jesus? Of course his father, Almighty God, Jehovah!

Moreover, how does Jesus refer to himself in Revelation? He is none other than "...the faithful and true witness..." (Revelation 3:14-19)

So maybe you should be asking yourself, if my religion calls itself "Christian" but does not witness to Jehovah, are they really true Christians? Do I really want to be associated with such a group? Are they really followers of Jesus?

Remember what Jesus said, and this is critical for you to consider now, as we are in the last days, “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.”—MATTHEW 7:21.

Source(s): The Holy Bible.

Maybe for the same reason Baptists are called Baptists, and not just general Christians. Why can't Methodists be called Christists or something? See how silly that query is? By the way, JWs see Jesus as the saviour too, they just dont name themselves after Christ any more than other denominations do. They are a subdivision within Christianity -- so I really don't grasp your question -- esp. since there are other groups under Christianity whose names don't have Christ in them (as in Baptists, Methodists, Pentacostals, etc)

Isn't it far better to lead a Christian life, as many (or most) JWs do, rather than leading a life out of line with the Bible, but having a different me?