My refrigerator has stopped cooling but I can still hear it running - giving off warm air.?

What is the problem? What is the role of a compressor in a refrigerator?

• Thor
    Favorite Answer

Probably all you are hearing running is the fans.

Are your coils clean? Dirty coils can overheat the compressor and cause it to shut down.

Do you hear a humm and a click? Or do your lights dim like every 10 or 15 minutes while it is on? If so your compressor is not starting.

These days the start relay on them fails too often. The PTC/overload they call it. That is a cheaper fix than a new compressor or replacing the refrigerator.

Your compressor does the cooling. It compresses the gas in to a liquid which is then hot. The liquid is cooled in the coils with a fan exhausting the heat (is that fan running? if your coils are not on the back).

Then when the liquid gets to the freezer under high pressure it is allowed to expand back in to a gas (lower energy state) and that causes it to get very cold.

Good Luck.

It sounds like you have a leak in your piping somewhere which has allowed refrigeration gas to escape. I would turn fridge off as as soon as possible and get a refrigeration mechanic to check for leaks. Running it without gas can damage compressor.