What is the best master Greek text?

Master texts are compilations of existing Greek manuscripts, and show what the editors think is the most accurate reading. Here is a list of currently popular Greek texts:

Textus Receptus

The Majority Text

Westcott and Hort

Nestle-Aland

UBS's Greek New Testament

Which text do you think is the best, and for what reasons?

Update:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm referring to the Greek text of the New Testament.

Update 2:

Daniel said:

"The Textus Receptus and the Majority text are the same thing."

I believe you are wrong. They are similar, but the Textus Receptus is based on the text produced by Erasmus, which was based on a few manuscripts on hand. Whereas the Majority Text factors in all available texts, and whatever the "majority" of the texts state, this is what makes it into the Majority Text.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

according to INTRODUCTION

GREEK NEW TESTAMENT

Westcott-Hort text from 1881, combined with the NA26/27 variants

Prepared and edited by

Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.

quote:

The Westcott-Hort text herein presented was constructed from a collation published in 1889 by William Sanday. Sanday's collation presents with a high degree of accuracy the approximately 6000 significant alterations between the Westcott- Hort text of 1881 and the Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus edition. The resultant text of this collation was then compared with the Westcott-Hort portion of the "Textuum Differentiae" appendix to the Nestle-Aland 26th edition in order to verify Sanday's data. Errors on the part of both Sanday and the Nestle-Aland 26th edition appendix were found and corrected during this process, and the resultant Westcott-Hort text is more accurate than either source taken independently.

unquote

==============

The problem with the "Textus Receptus" is the limited number of 'ancient texts' available when made.

The problem with the "Majority Text" is that it uses the many copies of copies of copies of the "Textus Receptus" to create the "majority".

If you copy a mistake 50,000 times, it still doesn't make the mistake correct. It just makes it the majority.

• Daniel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Textus Receptus and the Majority text are the same thing. It is the more reliable text.

The text advanced by Wescott and Hort, which is the basis behind the Nestle-Aland Greek, is an Alexandrian based text. Most all modern Bible versions use this Alexandrian based text.

The reason it was viewed as superior was because in the 1800's two complete Greek codices were found: Vaticanus (B) and Sinaiticus (aleph). It was discovered that they were the oldest surving complete codices. The logic is that the older the manuscript, the more reliable it is since one gets closer to the original autographs.

Before they were found the dominant Greek text used almost exclusively for well over a thousand years was theTextus Receptus. Over 90% of all extant texts are from this stream; hence it's the majority text.

The Alexandrian texts trace their origins back to Alexandria, Egypt. Vaticanus was found tucked away in a Vatican library, and Sinaiticus was found in a waste basket at a monestery at the foot of Mt. Sinai. Detractors of this steam note that the reason they are the oldest is because they were discarded and never used, and the reason they were not used is because they were considered corrupt. A used manuscript would have worn out.

Some early church fathers wrote that the scribes in Alexandria had corrupted the manuscripts. Irenaus, in the 2nd cent. AD wrote that they had corrupted them out of the pretext of correcting them.

That text is greatly abbreviated in comparison to the Textus Receptus, especially when it comes to controversial statements. Most of the following story is omitted from the Alexandian stream.

John 5:2-9, "Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath."

This was controversial in the early church because no one knew where this pool was, and some doubted it's existence. Thus, it is omitted from the Alexandrian stream. Another controversy involved the resurrection of Christ. There were conflicts regarding the last chapter of Mark not agreeing with the other gospels. The last 9 verses of Mark are omitted from the Alexandian stream.

It's also known that many of the Alexandrian Christians, particulary disciples of Origen, injected Platonic reasoning into their commentaries of the NT. And some of that reasoning has been rewritten into the Greek text, such as Mat 19:17, "And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. . . ." The Alexandrians philosophied a great deal about that verse, injecting the platonic philosphy of "concerning the good," into it. And the Alexandrian text has Jesus saying, "why ask me concerning the good."

The Nestle-Aland Greek text has had many revisions where it has had to change the text to the Textus Receptus reading as new evidences have come to surface. The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus which is therefore a more reliable Greek text.

EDIT

Yes, you are correct. I once read how the Majority text's stream makes up over 90% of the Greek texts and that's why it's called the majority text. What I should have said is that the Textus Receptus and the Majority text are from the same textual stream, the Byzantine text-type. Thanks for correcting me. Overall, the Majority text is probably the most accurate since scholars traced out all the scribal interpolations and copyist errors from that text-type to produce a more accurate text.

• repent
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Textus Receptus and Majority Text came from the Antiochian Text, they are the ones to go by.

You want Koine Greek, it's the Greek the disciples spoke.

Westcott and Hort translated from the Alexandrian Text.

The Alexandrian Text is the basis of modern bible corruptions.

The Lord called his people to come out of Egypt he didn't tell them to go back and collect His word.

Westcott and Hort were among the founders of the Ghost Society in the 1850's, they were fascinated by the spirit world. Not the kind of people you need to guide you in the scriptures.

They also used the wrong Greek.

THE SCRIBES

6000 thousand years ago, or so, the serpent

brought a world of woe,

So on "thy belly thou shalt go"

a creature cursed and now God's foe,

Now limbless, with no arms to fight,

he charms the serpents scribes to write.

Source New Age Bible Versions..Gail Riplinger.

Edit.

Nestles should stick to what they know best...making chocolate.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Textus Receptus.Professor Zane Hodges of Dallas Theological Seminary convinced me a long time ago this is the most accurate Greek text of the New Testament.Wescott and Hort,along with all other proponents of textual criticism,got it wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John H
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

For myself, i have found the Nestle-Aland text to be the most helpful in study of the Greek text; second would be UBS's. This is based solely one the fact of better notes and textual evidence presented.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.