New York City and Washington, DC trip. What to consider (gas, hotel, food, etc.)?

I've never really been on a trip. I would like to plan a trip to New York City. Washington, DC is on the way to NYC so I should stop there too. So I want to drive from my place to Washington, DC (7 hours) and from DC to NYC (4 hours). I want to drive to DC, spend half a day there sightseeing. Then get... show more I've never really been on a trip. I would like to plan a trip to New York City. Washington, DC is on the way to NYC so I should stop there too. So I want to drive from my place to Washington, DC (7 hours) and from DC to NYC (4 hours).

I want to drive to DC, spend half a day there sightseeing. Then get a hotel in DC. Then wake up the next day and drive to NYC.

Since I've never been on a trip, what should I consider for expenses? My list includes:

- gas cost to drive to DC and then to NYC.
- gas cost on the return trip.
- gas cost while in DC and NYC.
- hotel cost
- food
- entertainment (broadway show, etc.)

What else should be on the list?