Noel V asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Best Road Bicycle wheel set for the money?

My buddy and I just started biking and we are getting faster each week but not fast yet by any means. Our question is what wheel set would be worth the money. We heard of Hed 3, Zipp, Mavics, etc... Would love opinions. How much speed per mile could be gained with one of the good wheel sets compared to wheels that are ok that came with bike. Thanks

Favorite Answer

There are all sorts of wheels and they would provide different advantages and disadvantages for different types of riding. For example, severely aerodynamic rims are faster but more prone to crosswinds and, being stiffer are not as desirable for long distance.

You need to consider weight, durability, aerodynamic resistance, type of tire you will be using (clincher or sewup), numeber/type of spokes, spoke pattern, rim and spoke material, etc.

I don't want to recommend a specific brand/model, but in general aim for aluminum alloy rims, stainless steel spokes and quality hubs. While the nicest wheels to ride are light weight (minimizing rotating weight is ALLWAYS desirable, for everyday use you will probably be best to avoid really lightweight wheels because you sacrifice durability. Similalry, while a more aerodynamic cross-section rim is faster you don't want extremes for reasons given above. Wheels with few bladed spokes (16-20 in the front wheel, 20-24 in the rear) are a bit faster.

I recently bought a bike and upgraded the stock wheels for the next model up because they were about 150 gms lighter for a pair. because of the alloys and design the lighter wheels are just as strong or stronger ... but cost a couple of hundred dollars more. See how a little weight saved can cost a lot?

If you want speed for the flats or mild hills go with aero wheels, but frankly the difference will be most noticable with bladed/fewer spokes and lighter weight relative to your current wheels.

One hint .. read reviews then look for used wheels. The links are to just one manufacturer's lineup of wheels and to a good classified site for used bikes and equipment.

• bacher

till the exchange is for cosmetics there is little reason to circulate narrower. the scale of the line touch patch between a 23mm and a 28mm tire is negligible, you have harder holiday with much less administration on moist or grimy surfaces. till you're a severe hill climber or competitor ( maximum possibly neither with a Denali) you will by no skill comprehend a distinction in weight by skill of changing tires from 28 to 23, the version is under an ounce. are not getting caught up interior the cycling marketplace hype, think of it with the aid of.

• Tom

I think it might help if you tell us what wheelset (or rims and hubs) you're using now, so we know the kind of thing you're looking to upgrade to.

I bought a Mavik Aksium wheelset for my Specialized Allez 2008 and they're been great. Much stronger and yet lighter than the ones which came with it.