Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

marchi1990 asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What do I do after my rabbit gives birth?

My rabbit is due to give birth this saturday.

I was just wondering what I should do with the babies and mother after birth? Should I check on them or is it sensible to totally leave them? What food should I provide etc.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Congrats! Exciting isn't it. If she's a first time mom, there is a chance she may have stillborns as this is common, so try to be prepared for that as it's sad. If, however she is successful, you don't need to do much.

Rabbits are serious animals of prey so the mom will most likely appear to be 'ignoring' her kits. She does not want to bring attention to her kits so will purposely stay away from them. This is normal. They only feed them twice a day and you probably won't witness it. Don't worry.

Make sure the mom has a flat bottomed, padded nesting box about twice the size of mom and with a lip of about 5/6 inches high - so the babies can't get out - do NOT let her have them on wire! They need to be next to each other to retain warmth. And if they crawl out they lose heat horribly fast. Let her have them in a cage with the nest box and her litterbox or whatever she uses to do her job in your house at room temp. My doe did not urinate in her nest box, but then she had her exterior litterbox for that. If you see that the nest is soiled, you can try to remove the soiled bedding. You don't need to go crazy emptying the whole thing out and scouring it.

Keep dogs or loud noises away - cover the cage with a blanket if necessary. If she spooks because of too much attention/noise/threats - she can decide to not feed them.

She will fill the nestbox with hay and her own fur. Untreated wood is good. Don't use metal. Don't use any weird string/yarn/fabric/sawdust/pet bedding etc..as it can strangulate the kits or interfere with their breathing - hay/fur combo is the best. Wood chips like cedar are toxic (the scent has been proven to be toxic in recent studies).

The way I knew the kits were born is you will see the fur blob in the box sort of 'moving' around and then you know there are little squiggly ones in there. You should try to set things up so you can peek in there without interrogating the mom.

Lots of times one will be left out of the pecking order for food and die. You need to remove the deceased one asap to keep the others germ free when decomposition sets in. Sorry if this all sounds morbid, but there are lots of things to think about.

Don't try hand feeding them. Mom is best at that. I started physically picking them up at about 5 days old for only about a minute only ONCE a day to make sure they were getting fed (fat bellies). This will vary from person to person as far as opinions on this. Your doe might be fine with it, she might not. Mine was fine with it. Contrary to old wive's tales, they do not kill their young if they smell you on their babies. When they sense the warmth and sound of your hand over them, they will "beep beep beep"...they will think you are mom coming into feed which is so sweet.

Also, they are newborns with weak immune systems - so WASH your hands with a non-scented soap every time you are in their cage or near them. Rinse thoroughly with warm water to keep your skin warm. Then try as much as you can to pet your doe to get her smells on you. Then you can handle the kits if all goes well. That's what most breeders will recommend. You don't need to wear gloves (those will have weird smells from leather or plastics or the chemicals that go into making them). Your doe is already familiar with your scent so go with that.

Outside this, as they grow make sure you provide your doe with her usual diet - timothy hay (unending supplies of it 24/7), pellets (high quality with high fiber content), non-ending sources of fresh water, and veggies if you give them to her. The little ones will take a while before they start to eat but they usually start on hay after 2 weeks old. After 6 months you can start them on veggies gradually. They wean at 8 weeks. Also think about the fact that at 4 months old they can get pregnant if you have males and females. Larger breeds take longer to mature.

Good luck!!

• wieto

Rabbit Giving Birth

• Erika

Rabbit Birth

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thank you.

Source(s): rabbit birth: https://shortly.im/c0kZS

funny u should ask that, i brought a female a few weeks ago and two weeks later she had 3 bubbies!!

two have since died, but i very quickly had to learn what to do as i havent had rabbits for years.

just totaly leave them alone for the first week, just scoop out the pissy corner in the front room and make sure there is plenty of fresh hay in the hutch, and mum has plenty of food and water.

i was told not to touch the buns until they were moving about the hutch, which was when they were about 12 days old and eyes are opening.

u may find that sometimes they wander out b4 then and i was advised to put on a glove, rub ur hand in the sawdust and just plonk them back into the bedroom, apparantly mums dont put them back into there, and lots of them die as they get too cold.

hope this helps u, they will be so gorgeous! my little one is so sweet! good luck x

Absolutely nothing, mam will do the feeding and cleaning, when all is quite between dusk and dawn

carry on feeding your rabbit as normal, and maybe give some extra hay

do not touch the young until they are at least 10 days old and there eyes are open then.

• ?

both are roughly the same except when it comes to protein. EVERY veggies include a respectable amount of protein; fresh fruit does not.

just provide normal food for the mom, she should provide for the babies, but if not (if she refuses to or are in a separate cage) i've seen milk and bottles for rabbits at pet stores and feed them that. idk if you should touch them yet, i know some animals kill their babies if you touch them. i know rodents do, and my friend's cat did. so i'd look into that. ask your vet if you have any questions that youre not sure of or dont get an answer to.

Just feed her normally and check on her regularly, but don't mess with the babies unless she shows signs of poor treatment or low milk.

• beebee

need to spay after