HiWe have found a baby bird in our kitchen - think the cat brought it in. What can we feed it? drink?

The car brought a baby bird into our house. It seems unharmed and hungry. We have no idea where it came from so can't return it to the nest. It is sunday evening so nobody is open to hand it to someone who knows what to do ... we have been catching flies to feed it and it seems to like them - a lot! We... show more The car brought a baby bird into our house. It seems unharmed and hungry. We have no idea where it came from so can't return it to the nest.

It is sunday evening so nobody is open to hand it to someone who knows what to do ... we have been catching flies to feed it and it seems to like them - a lot!

We have also given it a few drops of water via a syringe and it is currently housed in a cardboard box with paper towel to make it comfortable and warm, in a quiet room away from kids and cats.

Are we doing the right things? Any better suggestions?
Thanks
Update: We will take it to a animal shelter if possibel - but there isn't one anywhere near us. Also it is sunday evening and everywhere is closed.
Update 2: Thanks for the info - definitely no more water - I think hubby only gave it one or 2 drops.

It seems to be an insectivore and is eating all the flies we can find it... when to stop?

Not sure about the cat, although I can't imagine how else it got into the kitchen.
Update 3: thanks - we don't know what type of bird it is - it looks like it has a few yellowy type feathers on it's chest - otherwise brown. It seems to like the flies for now. When we first put it into the box it was sitting back on it's haunches, now it is up on it's feet and when you open the lid to feed... show more thanks - we don't know what type of bird it is - it looks like it has a few yellowy type feathers on it's chest - otherwise brown.
It seems to like the flies for now.
When we first put it into the box it was sitting back on it's haunches, now it is up on it's feet and when you open the lid to feed it it is jumping up and down with mouth open to get more! Greedy.

Certainly seems fine to me...

Anybody know if it will eat spiders - considering that it seems to like flies?

If it is liking the insects, is rice grain still a good thing to feed it? Cooked I presume?

Thanks
6 answers 6