Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationCamping · 1 decade ago

camping and insects?

Hi, i am going out camping tonight for my boyfreinds birthday (so i have to go) and i am terrified of insects and spiders and moths, etc. I am dreading it, because the thought of one being near me scares me. Does anyone know of any home-made products that can repel them, or any little things that i can do to prevent them coming into my tent. i want my first experience of camping to be really enjoyable without worrying about this, i know its petty. if theres any products to buy, cananyone suggest some. I live in Engalnd by the way and hope you can help :) thanks in advance!!

Favorite Answer

Insect repellant. It can be harsh on your skin and sometimes melts some plastics but it repels insects. It repels but they may still fly very near without biting. Campfire smoke helps. Mud applied to exposed skin can keep them from penetrating.Keeping the screens shut on the tent openings is best for keeping them from the tent.Wearing a headnet keeps them away but is very restricting.

Source(s): many years of dealing with the insects in the alaskan wilderness.

The answerers that are saying to wear perfume are pulling your chain! Do not do that...the sweet smell ATTRACTS the bugs. Buy a real bug spray with 30% Deet or more, none of that wimpy stuff. Warning...it tastes bad, so it puts some limits on the romantic activities if you catch my drift. As far as your tent goes, you can buy an insect fog. You spray it around the campsite and it will reduce the insects for several hours or more, depending on the product. Remember, you get what you pay for, too. Citronella candles also help, but don't use IN your tent. Burn holes are little bug private entrances. Don't spray your tent with the bug spray. It weakens the water resistancy. You can, however spray a 2 foot perimeter around your tent with an outdoor insect spray (like you'd use around your home). Bugs don't like that stuff and will generally not cross it if avoidable. You will, however, have to swallow the idea that you are going to be living in the bugs' domain for an evening, so expect to have some encounters. None of them will kill you. Maybe cause an itch. More of a pain in the rear than anything. Try to focus on your boyfriend's birthday. Look up at the stars. Enjoy the cool night air. You might just surprise yourself. Good luck and enjoy your camping trip.

Perfumes will ATTRACT, not repel insects, so don't do that. Skin So Soft has never worked when I've tried it. The only thing that is PROVEN to repel insects is DEET. You want an insect repellent with at least 32% DEET listed in the active ingredients. This will keep away all biting flies and mosquitoes and will also completely repel ticks. Keeping the screens on the tent sealed, and staying a distance from your light source are extremely good advice also.

3 words: Deep Woods Off!

That is the best insect repellent (In my opinion). Just don't use any spray of any kind in your tent as that could damage the waterproofing. For inside your tent, you can get Off! wipes. The wipes don't produce a spray, so they are safe for use in the tent. Just set a few around the tent. You can also get these lantern like things from Off! where you insert a cartridge and it repels bugs. All of that stuff should be available at any Sporting Goods Store or Department Store. Off! is a big company so I would assume it would be available in the UK.

If you use a DEET-based repellent, try to avoid contact with your skin (it's nasty stuff...there's a reason the bugs avoid it!). Still, it really IS about the only way to really keep the biters away. Try spraying it on your clothing instead of on you. spray a bit on a cloth and wipe on your hair if that's where they're bothering you.

Also, the tent is for sleeping, not socializing with the neighbors, definitely keep the door closed as much as possible. I've gotta say, i love camping...been doing it since i was 5, dont mind bugs in the least...until theres a moth trapped in my tent in the middle of the night. It drives me nuts! So I keep my tent closed as much as possible, and I only have lights on in or near my tent while the door is closed.

Good luck on the camping! I hope you have as much fun as I do when I go!

• Terry

Keep the screen on the tent zipped at all times to keep them out. All light sources will attract bugs so it you are using a lantern for light keep it back far enough that you still have light but the bugs are at a distance. Avon Skin So Soft is a great repellent if you don't like bug spray or mud.

just slap them with your hand use bug spray ignore it or

take a fly swapper thing

spray yourself off with a vinager, cayenne pepper solution

just go to any drug store and pick us some bug spray and spray it on yourself. POOF. NO BUGS!

If you wear lots of perfumes you are sure to keep the bugs away!