computer slow to start?

when starting my computer it takes around 20 mins or more to get going.The sandtimer stays on and i get loads of pop ups ie my wireless,bt and other stuff tha i have to press cancel. once i'm eventualy on the internet or computer everything speedwise is fine its just the initial start up. i've tried de fraging clearing temp files etc. thanks

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It is just because you have a plenty of start-up applications.. A start-up application is a software program which starts itself when u start ur computer.. All the pop-ups are due to these start-up applications.. Just try to avoid these applications getting started on ur computer start-up.. Go to the properties of that application and unselect the checkbox which says "start the application on computer start-up"... Try doing this.. U will see a great improvement in ur system start-up time.. And one more advice, whenever u install any new application, make sure that u uncheck the checkbox i said above which appears during installation.. This is set to true by default by some of the software vendors..

• 4 years ago

The reasons why your computer is being slow: 1) Your computer has a virus 2) Too many programs 3) Fragmentation of the Hard Drive 4) Hard Drive getting full 5) Hardware is out-dated 6) Start up Overload (Too many programs on start up) 7) The registry is bloated or corrupted. 8) The Windows Page File could be too small. 9) Too Many Windows and TEMP Files 10) Remnants of uninstalled programs (Traces of programs that were uninstalled) And MANY more. Try searching on how to speed up your PC, it's a lengthy process depending on the condition of your computer. -Elian

• s j
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Thats usually indicative of a messed up registry, sometimes a result of people right-clicking and deleting programs instead of properly uninstalling them. When a program file is simply deleted and the program isn't uninstalled it leaves the entry in the registry. When your rig fires up Windows looks thru your whole hard drive for the program thats still in the registry but doesn't exist anymore on the hard drive. The more programs "deleted" the longer it takes to boot up as it goes thru the whole hard drive each time looking for each prog. If thats the case its usually best to just back your data up and reinstall the OS and teach whoevers deleting the progs how to uninstall them. I sold a computer to a family once and had to reimage it twice the first month because someone was deleting every folder he "didn't think they needed". I ended up giving them a computer course on how to uninstall progs. If you are comfortable editing the registry you can try that. I'd stay away from those free registry repair progs cuz they're junk. And, of course, it could be a virus or a lot of spyfiles but I suspect your registry is trashed.

• 1 decade ago

It could be a lot of things, but sounds like you have too many programmes installed. Try removing all the surplus ones. If you are using Windows XP or Vista, you don't need all the spyware checkers, third party utilities etc just an anti virus.

Check your start up files. Start, run MSCONFIG, start up and try deselecting some of the start up programmes. Any you don't need, consider removing. Make sure you don't have more than one anti virus. Make sure it is up to date with the latest signatures, and do a full scan. If the scan is too quick i.e just a few seconds, it might be infected.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Manage your startups. Your excess CPU usage is due to too many programs running in the background. You can cut these to barebones by alter your msconfig. Here is how:

1. Open your Start menu.

2. Click Run

3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"

4. In the "system configuration utility",click either "service" or "startup" tab

5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.

6. Click "OK"

Here a tutorial for getting your booting time down to under a minute:

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/slow-boot-u...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do you have a lot of background programs running like msn messenger, explorer, anti virus, printer/scanner/digital camera programs/drivers etc(icons that you see at the lower right of your screen)? Normally these will eat up your memory causing your Windows PC to slow down.

Why not give PC Booster 2008 a try to boost your PC performance in 2 minutes. i have used for 3 years and it works great!

If you haven't cleaned your registry for some time. You should do it now. The registry in Windows PC contains information regarding your updates, installs, un-installs etc. Each one of those events produces a key. That key needs your PC's resources and free space. So, if you clean your registry, you make more resources available for speed.

PC Booster contains the latest registry cleaning technology to clean up all your registry problems too.

Recommeded by CNET and PCMag.

http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/pcb/index.ht...

or you can also download PC Booster 2008 (Retail Version) for free here

http://www.trialpay.com/stores/inklineglobal/pcboo...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds like you need a REAL computer. 20 mins is hopeless, even 10 yr old computers could start faster than that. Try wiping the hard drive and reinstalling, if that doesnt fix then upgrade the hardware.

• 1 decade ago

this problem happend to my computer as well. The problem with mines was that there wasn't enough memory. The available memory my computer has is only 256MB but when opening any applications the memory needed was twice as much. So what my uncle did he put the recovery disks back in and refreshed the computer. My computer is working fine now.

• 1 decade ago

Type in msconfig in run. The click startup and then theres a list of all the programs that start when your computer starts just untick the ones you don't want to run.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hey,

This is a good link for downloading Mad Checkers for free: http://j.mp/1pUKpjt

it's completely free and it's very fast to install

Mad Checkers includes simple and very appealing graphics; furthermore it can be played by users of all ages.

Check it out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.