9mm Vs .45 ACP for home defense?

Looking for a pistol for home defense but not sure which caliber to get. I know .45 packs stopping power but is the recoil going to effect my ability to defend my self in a life or death situation? Is the 9mm enough to stop a burglar? What are your suggestions, Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Either will stop and kill. If your going to shoot, your not shooting to wound or kill...your shooting to stop the actions of the intruder. Remember that at report time.

Going from .45 to 9mm: you trade mass for velocity.

Going from 9mm to .45: you trade velocity for mass.

The best thing you can do is carry the same round your local law enforcement carries. It will most likely be very effective and it will close legal doors that get opened when people buy 'super stopper bullets' and what not.

Source(s): Personal experience, Law Enforcement, HK armorer

I think a key factor in your question is Home Defense. In the case of home defense the size of the pistol is not a factor and I would recommend larger holes, I have both 9mm and 45 caliber pistols but for home defense I pick up my Glock 21SF with 13 + 1 rounds of 45 ACP. The 45 actually is a comfortable round to shoot . Many 9mm have a more snappy recoil. In the end it doesn't matter. There are too many variables. So shoot both the 9mm and the 45 to see which you like best. Choose a brand with high capacity. Either one will do the job of Home defense.

• ?

45 Vs 9mm

RE:

9mm Vs .45 ACP for home defense?

Source(s): 9mm 45 acp home defense: https://trimurl.im/a3/9mm-vs-45-acp-for-home-defen...

It's a personal taste with what you are comfortable with. If your hands are small or you don't like recoil, go with a 9mm. I am a big guy and love my 1911 clone .45. It's loaded with Glassers, a bit expensive but if I have to use it in the house, I'm not worried about over penetration.

• SGT. D

Both are excellent choices for home defense. .45 has the stopping power and the 9mm has the cheap ammo and high magazine capacity. You choose. If it were me though and I was going straight for home defense, I'd bag the handguns and get a Pump or double barreled coach gun in 20 or 12 gauge with number 2, or 4 shot (you still get the stopping power but the rounds won't go through several walls, something you need to think about with a .45 or 9. The pump gun is great because no burglar is going to hand around when they hear a pump action scattergun being cycled. The double is great because it so easy to load in a hurry when you are half asleep and no one except a complete idiot is going to hang around when they see it being pointed at them, but whatever you choose, be sure to get in plenty of range time with it and be sure to train your kids in firearm safety. Stay Safe!

• no

.45 is "slower" than the 9mm so you have less penetration of walls to hit unintended targets. The "knock-down" power is MUCH greater due to the mass of the bullet AND the slower speed (for instance, a fist is slower than an arrow, so the arrow goes through you and keeps going while the fist expends all of its power on your body). A 300 lb quarterback charging at you is hit by your shot from a 9mm.... he may be dead, but he will still run over you. The same person gets hit with a .45... he usually stops! Quickly! That is the reason that the .45 was designed. It was for jungle warfare in the Philippines. The Natives would get high on local drugs and attack with machetes. Even with several hits from the .30 and .32 calibers they would keep coming and usually get at least one good swing with the machete. The .45s Stopped them "dead".

• Jason

Either one is just fine. How well made ammunition is now a 9mm wound cavity in ballistic gel looks identical to a .45.

.45 most definately in my former job i stopped carrying the 9mm for the simple fact 3 center mass shots didnt do the job only the 4 shot in the appropiate term "in the ocular cavity" did it stop the soldier. The .45 has saved me on several occasions with 2 shot chest shots stopping the threat immediately. As far as recoil the .45 ACP is noticeable but mangeable its not a cannon. From your statement you seem to be a little unfamiliar with firearms, feel free to email me and i will gladly suggest what brand would be best suited for you as in either Glock, Colt 1911, Springfield Armory 1911, but from what ive seen so far would be a Ruger DA/DAO in .45 ACP with tritium night sights.

Source(s): U.S ARMY RANGER SCOUT SNIPER [PANAMA, GULF WAR AND SOMALIA] 1/75TH RANGER BN A&B CO 24TH INF DIV XVIII AIRBORNE

Go with the 45 9mm round is too fast, if you hit your intruder, likely it will pass through him. If you miss, others in your home will be at risk. 45 is a slower round, and has a 95% stop ratio. Meaning 95% of the time one round will stop your intruder............