Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

If "eau" in French means water - then does every Cajun name that has "eau" at the end mean water in some form?

Update:

OK so I'm seeing an overwhelming "no". I am asking because my last name is Buteaux and I am on a kick - trying to find out the exact origin of my name. Anyone have any ideas?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to look for ''Buteau'' and not ''Buteaux''...the ''x'' is nowadays simply a sign of plural but it was mostly likely attached to Buteau over time. The main reason for this (as for many other last names ending in ''eau'' in French, is that for a long time people could not write and would simply put an ''X'' on whatever document they had to sign before a witness and then someone else would write their name beside it and over time the ''x'' just came to merge with people recopying the last names and misinterpreting the signature; that's one hypothesis that's often put forth.

Now ''Buteau'' comes from the altered form of Buteux, a nickname for someone whose habit was of pushing or hitting, which probably comes from the old French world ''buteor'', someone whose job was to unload goods.

A second possibility is that it could come from the altered form of ''Butaud'' (which makes more sense phonetically anyway), from the Germanic name ''Botwald'' from German ''bordo'' = messenger and ''waldan''= ruler.

• 4 years ago

Don't use the same water you took out since the water change will be the beneficial thing to help keep your tank in tip top shape. Don't scrub down your tank or do 100% water changes either. This will harm the parameters of your tank. beneficial bacteria reside mostly in filter media since they need a current of oxygenated water to survive, but it does grab on to what ever it can where there is a good water current, so scrubbing your tank is not a good idea. A partial change of 25-30% weekly should be good enough to maintain your tank and if you have city water get a water conditioner that removed chlorine AND Chloramine. Seachem Prime is what alot of people use. Never used it myself but I think it is available most anywhere. I am assuming you went to a store like Petsmart or the like and not a typical LFS, i have never heard of using the tank water you just took out again. Defeats the purpose of the change entirely. Also look into a fishless cycle. This is very easy and a great way to cycle the tank without harming the fish. It is also great if you have a buddy that has an established disease free tank you get some gravel or filter floss from to seed your tank! It will speed up your cycle! Good Luck and don't reuse the yucky water. ETA : The age-old advice is "Let the water stand overnight at room temperature". However, depending on the temperature and the shape of the container, it can take more than a week for chlorine to dissipate naturally. It is better to use a product intended to detoxify chlorine, but you still want to let the water stand overnight anyway to equilibrate gasses and temperature. Letting it sit out still does nothing for the Chloramine so you might as well treat your water with a conditioner. You must use a product that neutralizes chloramine. Most municipalities now have this in their water treatment structure. This product should be able to break the chlorine-ammonia bond and detoxify both the chlorine and ammonia. There are many products marketed to do this, but two examples are Amquel and Tetra Aquasafe.

• 1 decade ago

Cajun is not a language, it's the name of an ethnic group living in Louisiana, U.S.A. The only language that sounds and looks like French is Haitian Creole or kreyòl ayisyen

Note: in French, the x at the end means of a noun means it's a plural: Buteaux / buteaux. To search for the definition, make it singular by removing the x at the end.

unless it's eau by itself, otherwise it would be part of a word which has no relation to "eau"[pronounce like "oh-w"] or "water" in French.

I wasn't able to find anything online except one website:

http://www.answers.com/topic/buteau

which could help.

• 1 decade ago

It would help to just read a little about the evolution of the French language. "Eau" is the result of the evolution of the Latin word, "aqua". In Spanish and Portuguese, the "q" (k sound) became voiced: "g": agua. In Spanish, the "g" is a continuous sound, sometimes not pronounced at all: á-wa. This happened in French, too. Since the combination of a + u (or "w") became a diphthong in French (au, or aw), the second syllable was discontinued. Over time, the sound "au" became the modern sound, "o". The "u" exists as a vestige of the second vowel, no longer pronounced.

Other consonants disappeared in French over time: "l" or "ll", for example. Castellum, castle, became cas-té-u. The éu evolved into the au, and the "ca" (ka sound) became cha (pronounced a bit like shah). The s was aspirated for a while (pronounced like an "h", but it eventually disappeared. The result was chateau. .

Likewise, beau evolved from bellu(s) or bellu(m).

Too much information? If not, seriously, you might find it even entertaining to read a little about how the romance languages evolved from (vulgar, or popular) Latin.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

not necessarily cause eau can be a suffix to another word that has nothing to do with water.

• xx.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Not really.

• 1 decade ago

glo means water

i am french

• 1 decade ago

no

• 1 decade ago

No.

• 1 decade ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.