What is an abnormal proliferation of one of the white blood cell types called?

- Leukemia

- Neutropenia

- Leukocytopenia

- Granulopiesis

I think it's Leukemia, but I'm not sure, I need help =( TY

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer


  • Marie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    You're correct; from those choices, it would be leukemia.

    Anything ending in -penia refers to a low count of whatever it is (so neutropenia would be a low level of the white blood cell called a neutrophil, and leukocytopenia would be low levels of all of them because leukocyte is the general term for white blood cell). Granulopoiesis refers to generation of granulocytes, which is one group of white blood cells (neutrophils, eosinophils and basophils).

    Leukocytosis would be a general term for a white blood cell count that is above the normal range, but there can be reasons for a leukocytosis that don't involve abnormal cells, like an infection. Once you specify that it's an "abnormal proliferation" you are saying that there is a disorder or disease process involved, so 'leukemia' would be the answer.

    Source(s): I'm an MD.
  • 1 decade ago

    its leukemia

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.