Where does the term "you really saved my bacon" come from?

Did someone almost lose their bacon? I would hate that because I loves me some bacon!

Put it on a bun!

Put it on a bun!!

Put it on a bun!!!

Dat's right, a bun like it's doin' all day! Shout outs to all da pimpz out dey makin it work with the hustle. Squeezin of caps rollin da hard sixes yo.

Anyways, where did the term originate? You know. The 'saved my bacon' one.

• JaneB
    Favorite Answer

In this phrase, bacon represents the person's body. (Compare "He saved my ***.") The Oxford English Dictionary defines "to save one's bacon" as "to escape injury to one's body, to keep oneself from harm." The earliest example it quotes is dated 1691.

The word here could derive from Baec which is Old Dutch and Anglo-Saxon for "back". However, like many sayings, there are other suggestions as to the origin. The most likely of these is that, in the early 17th century "bacon" was thieves' slang for "escape". Alternatively, Brewer suggests it may mean the sides of home-killed bacon that every peasant family would have hanging up in the house; this would have been valuable property and if you or somebody else "saved your bacon" from fire or theft you would have had a narrow escape.

Good question. Yes, saved in the Bible means being saved from all your sins. In fact, you should have no more sins in your heart. Your heart should be sinless if you are saved. If you still have sin then you are not saved. Many Christians who claim to be strong believers also say they still have sin??? How is this possible?? To be saved from your sins you must believe in the true gospel of the water and the Spirit. You can't be saved by just believing in Jesus somehow, that will not save you. That verse you quoted means, you must believe in everything Jesus did for your salvation. If you only take one part of His atonement like many do of just His blood on the Cross, then you will never be saved ever (1 John 5:6-11). The blood alone cannot save you from your sins, this is why all blood only believers still have their sins intact. But the believers who believe in the whole full gospel of the water and the Spirit have no more sin, and only there obedient people are called the children of God. God cannot call a sinner His child.