CMOS Settings wrong; CMOS Date/Time Not Set; CMOS Battery Low?

I just recently built this computer, then I get the messages above. I have put in 3 new batteries and I have set the date and time like 100 times and I still cant get it to boot anything. I want to install Windows XP on my computer and I can't even get it to boot from my CD Drive.

• Timbo
    Favorite Answer

Might need to reset your BIOS, check your manual for the jumper to remove off the motherboard to reset the BIOS. That does solve some issues.

The manual for my new motherboard (at the time) told me to do that first, i didnt pay attention and had problems where my processor thought it was over heating and would crash my computer, when i reset the BIOS i had no problems.

ARE you sure it's the CMOS battery (<> $5) , or is it the big battery pack (<> $90) underneath? Laptops are not serviceable by their owners, except for adding RAM, the big battery above, and maybe a hard drive. If you're not sure: Send it in to Acer for repair. The turn-around time should only be a few days to a week, and a fresh CMOS battery should last for years. Or, take it to The Source (Radio Shack) for an estimate, they are Acer Authorized. Back up all your personal data, to a USB Flash Drive, first and you can use a friend's PC in the mean time.

Ok, if you have tried replacing the battery a couple of times, try reading the manual. Look for the RTC or the Real Time Clock. This is saved on the CMOS but can be erased by moving a jumper cap. A reset setting if you will. Try to look into the motherboard and see if it is set to "CLEAR" state. Usually the Clear RTC jumper pins are nearby the CMOS battery holder but you still have to consult your manual for this.

i had this problem in my pc, windows 98, press DEL at the startup screen, it will give you the options....find out the date and time settings panel, i dont exactly remember the sequence, but it should be in top 3 tabs....save it, and press ESC, it will prompt u for YES or NO.. select YES...

this should solve the problem , but this can happen again...

it happens only in desktops, basically because when u boot the pc, the monitor sends a signal to the motherboard, it there is a delay, the boot up is not proper, and the settings get changed....

Cmos=bios setup its no configured properly, press the key to enter you to the setup there you set the date and select bios default,save and exit if this no work you can try to get a new flash bios from the manufactur of your mother board, that can loaded to a flopy disk,bootable pendrive or CD.

Or return the motherboard and get a new one.

enter BIOS setup by pressing f2, at start up. set the pro gramme at default.Also in boot screen put preference wise booting device as cd ROM.. press f10 to save escape y .put xp CD in CD rom & follow instructions date setting will come inbetween.

get a new motherboard