Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwarePrinters · 1 decade ago

Brother Printer Help?

I recently just purchased a brother printer.

When i print something a 1 inch black line apears in the centre of the page?

Could someone tell me the solution to this problem?

Favorite Answer

Hi I have the exact same problem- I got the printer around Christmas time and since then have used it to print maybe a few dozen pages, max. All of a sudden the thick black line started happening. Someone suggested it may be a printer cartridge issue. I'm going to call Brother to ask them- stay tuned.

Ok I just got off the phone with them- spoke to them twice. The first go-round they had me remove the toner/drum unit (the two pieces that connect together inside the front flap- it's black on top and gray on bottom) and they told me to swab around the inside of the printer with a rag. I did this then test printed and it did nothing to help, still the same black line. They then said they would send me a new printer, or I could go to the service center (there were several they mentioned in walking distance of my home in downtown Chicago). I figured going to the center would be faster so I called there and they told me candidly to just have a new printer sent- that at the service center they have to request parts from the manufacturer etc and this can take awhile. So I then called Brother again- while I was on the phone this time I took the drum unit/toner out again but this time I took the two pieces apart (she was asking for one of the serial numbers on the drum). Eureka- I saw the problem. On the drum unit (the gray bottom part) there is a glass(?) cylinder in back. In the middle of the cylinder I saw...a 1 inch thick black line! I wiped this off with my rag, and test printed. There is still some black spotting but it's very minimal and as I only use this for my own personal use, I don't mind. It could probably be removed entirely by wiping down that back area of the drum unit thoroughly. NOTE- the wiping down process is messy, so I suggest you do it somewhere you don't mind having black powder coming out (I learned this the hard way). Also, be aware that the warranty on the drum unit/toner is just 90 days so if you're beyond that they will only send you a new machine (just the shell of the printer) which in this case I don't think will help solve the problem. Finally- they won't touch the machine if you have a non-Brother cartridge in it. Hope this helps, good luck!

1.Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit.

2.Make sure the primary corona wire cleaner is at the home position.

3.The toner cartridge may be damaged. Put in a new toner cartridge.

4.The drum unit may be damaged. Put in a new drum unit.

5.The fuser unit may be smudged. Call your dealer or Brother Customer Service.

If laser, look for a damaged drum or toner cartridge. Both will cause that problem.