Is getting a motorcycle worth it?

I'm 17 years old, but I won't get one til I'm 18 or 19. When I go to college I'm going to need a means of travel but I can't afford a car, plus motorcycles are better than gas, and I think they would be a lot of FUN. I'm not a biker chick, I'm definetly not going to turn into one of those biker people on a harley. I would most likely get a sports motorcycle, a Honda (is Honda considered a good brand? or suzuki maybe?)

I think having a motorcycle would be a lot of fun and interesting and different. I would be very careful, I wouldn't show off goin 100 miles an hour down a road like some people do.

On the other hand, I know it's very dangerous. I know if I crash into a car going 50 on a motorcycle, that's bad damage compared to crashing a car.

I'm just wondering, what are the pros and cons of buying a motorcycle?

Favorite Answer

ABSOLUTELY!!!! As a lady rider, I can assure you, there are lot more girls on bikes than people realize.

DEFINITELY DO NOT ride a motorcycle until you have taken either the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider course or an equivalent course offered by other companies. (I think passing the MSF course still gets you an M-class motorcycle license rating without an additional road test.) It is not only worth it but NECESSARY. Without proper safety training, it is suicide to ride a motorcycle on our roadways. But WITH proper safety training, you will actually become safer than most other vehicles (and you'll see it in your auto driving as well).

I wouldn't jump onto a crotch-rocket as your first bike. Look for a sportier standard first. I had a Suzuki SV-650 (not the "S" model) and it was phenomenal. Very sporty and sexy but not a hardcore sport bike. I've ridden a Kawasaki Ninja and I can assure you, you really need to be an experienced rider for those. On the cruiser (Harley type) side, the Honda Shadow VLX (600cc) is a good starter bike. But I definitely liked the SV-650. As a new rider, you want something low-weight and easy to handle, and where you are sitting upright as much as possible vs. the extreme leaning over over a sport bike.

Fuel consumption? Let's put it this way. We use our single vehicle (Honda CR-V) about 30% of the time. We use our motorcycles 70% of the time. My monthly gas bill is $170 for the CR-V, and only $50 for BOTH motorcycles! And we drive the CR-V an avg 45 mph, while the motorcycles usually run an avg 60-70 mph. Much more fun, much cheaper, totally worth it. BTW, motorcycles handle rain just fine. Just slow down a little (and have rain gear).

Also definitely get a full-face helmet. Be prepared to spend about $250-300 for a helmet and another $200-300 for a good jacket (which you should wear even on hot days -- good ones are well-vented). Most of the motorcycle deaths are idiots with salad bowls or nothing on (or in) their heads, or crotch-rocket bozos with sneakers and T-shirts doing 90 mph, eager to donate their organs. I have 2 really good jackets, one for summer, one for winter.

Do yourself a favor this summer and take a motorcycle safety course. (They are probably all booked up... but just go to one on the first day and see if you can take the place of a last-minute cancellation -- they happen all the time. Keep going until you get into one.) You will be hooked at once and absolutely love it. (And you'll be surprised how many other women there are there taking the course!)

Source(s): Ignore the paramedic and nurse types. They lead the most miserable mundane lives on earth. I've had it with their lectures. Who do you think is in the hospitals? People who were leading happy and safe lives who still got injured in accidents or infected with diseases or suddenly had a major medical condition hit them out of nowhere. Give me a break. Life is risk. If you want to lead a sheltered life, might as well go hole up in a cave and drop dead of starvation (since, after all, food can kill you too).

If you are getting a motorcycle just to for saving gas, you will have to figure that depending on how much you will pay for the motorcycle are you really putting more money towards the bike rather than keep the money and use it for gas. If you find that you are not really saving your money, then in will be in your best interest to also buy the motorcycle if you think that riding around on two-wheels will be enjoyable for you and accepting the dangers. So is it worth it? Millions of bikers will say "Hells yeah', but the final answer is up to you.

Imo, getting a motorcycle is like starting a meaningful relationship. You'll form an attachment to your bike and learn to love driving it everywhere. I think motorcycles are a heck of a lot more fun to own compared to cars.

Since you're new to bikes, I strongly suggest that you learn a bit about them before going out a buying one. Read up on some books about motorcyles at the library or magazine shop. Get a feel for what kind of bikes you like and what the pros recommend for a newbie. I personally recommend that you *don't* purchase any bike with an engine larger than 500cc. A small light bike doesn't need a large engine to get up to freeway speeds, and a smaller engine means even better fuel consumption.

I also recommend that you consider taking a motorcyle driver's course. Check with your local DMV and see what they offer. This is likely the cheaper route to go compared to a commercial outfit, but perhaps the course isn't as comprehensive.

Lastly, I think that as long as you stick with buying a trusted brand name starter bike (any Japanese make) you will be fine with regards to reliability. Honda motorcycles are well known for a reason: reliability. In fact, all the J-bike makers have proven products, so it's hard to go wrong with buying them new. If you're in the market for a used bike, bring along a friend who is more knowledgeable about bikes before parting with your money.

Source(s): Me, Myself, & Irene
  • Jay P

From a statistical standpoint, the main benefit from a motorcycle is the fuel savings and the main drawback is the lack of protection ( which could be taken as either environmental protection or collision protection ).

What can not be seen as a pro or con from a statistical standpoint is the emotional feeling that comes from riding. While this is definitely subjective, there is a far greater connection to the road and the machine felt while riding a bike as compared to when driving a car.

The pros include less gas usage than a car, more parking options than with a car, the wind in your face, being out there with nature and the general excitement of riding.

There really are no cons that I know about.

The death scare thrown out as a con is not valid.

Life is a risk. You never know when the grim reaper will nab you. Taking risks is a part of life.

Don't let that stop you from experiencing the joy of riding a motorcycle.

Source(s): 923

in my opinion Suzuki sports bike is greater than Honda's one there is a risk in every part of our life we shouldn't try to escape from them so try to face them buy the bike

Absolutely not!!!

Some of the most common injuries on cycles are:

Broken Femur bone.

Broken neck.

Broken Skull (Even with a helmet)

Broken arms.

Major scrapes.

Try this: Put an egg in a plastic container that is padded with foam. Now throw it against a brick wall as fast as you can throw it. Better yet, drop it from a 25 story building on to the cement.

Now check the egg and see what happened to it. I would bet $50 that it broke!

That is what can happen to your head in the helmet.

Or you can break your neck, back or spine and be crippled for life. It happens all the time.

I had a friend in the Army who went and bought a motorcycle. The very first time he rode it, he tried to stop, got thrown over the handle bars and landed on the dirt.

He was in a coma for a couple days. When he woke up, he did not recognize his relatives any more and he noticed that BOTH of his arms had been amputated at the shoulders!!! He died in the hospital a couple days later! And yes, he was wearing a helmet!!

Think about that, before you buy one of them death machines!

Source(s): Friends and relatives that are EMT's Paramedics and Nurses. Three friends who have died in accidents on motorcycles.
    • marc6 years agoReport

In training course they teach you to use both front and back brakes, if you use both breaks its nearly impossible to flip over the handlebars. Safe riding is the key to survival. Dont be afraid but be vigilante and careful as a rider and you will be on the successful rider side of statistics.

obviosly gas , i think its worth it if #1 your responsible and take the class to learn how to ride w/ using your gear at all times, however bikes arent cheap if something brakes... and they get stolen alot atleast in fl.

NO! too many people die today in the US from them,. is u do use a helmet,.... buy or get a hybrid

If ur in the south of France that get a cycle and take me with,. :-)

No! its not worth it.