Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Do you ignore the lyrics when listening to music?

I do, i prefer the sound of music rather than listening to words, if i wanted to do that, i would read poetry, for me the lyrics are just another instrument adding to the sound of the song.

Does anyone else do this?

Favorite Answer

Yes, i blame my music teacher father for this! I'm so busy listening to all the harmonies i don't even know what is being sung.

Was in the car with my g/f and this song came on n i said, oh i really like this song - stupid me didn't know that the song was about the male singer running off and having a fling with another woman - my g/f went mental!

Oopsies!

If it's Abba or Rush I ignore the lyrics coz mostly they're not great (apart from The Visitors by ABBA) , but the music is superb

In the case of Half Man Half Biscuit or Bob Dylan the music is secondary to the lyrics

It depends which song. Some songs have good music and lyrics, some songs have good lyrics and bad music, and some songs have good music but bad lyrics. I ignore the lyrics if they are bad but the music is good. I never listen to songs with bad music and lyrics. What would be the point of that?

Lyrics............. there is in lots of cases some thing to p.c. out with the track purely makes it more beneficial proper. besides the actual undeniable actuality that I surely have study lyrics and in no way heard the track yet then after I did i did not like how then went jointly. The lyrics get you in track with the track and artist.

the beat, the music + the lyrics are all so important in music, depending on what kind you're listening to.

i think i'd have trouble ignoring the lyrics because a lot of the time they're amazing.

I do tend to prefer the melody of a song to the lyrics but to be honest that's partly because I sometimes have trouble understanding what they are saying because I'm hard of hearing!

I think when you first hear a song, you listen to the rhythm, its a bit like when i listen to billy jean, its an amazing song, but i actually notice the lyrics now. And Mariah Carey's touch my body song.....well....i was just singing along, then realised what she was singing, i don't sing that song in public anymore....lol

yeah... i'm a musician/songwriter and i tend to that... i've always said a melody is the most important element to a good song. as long as you have a good infectious melody, any words you put to it will sound cool. sometimes when i write songs i just make up and bunch of random jibberish for the lyrics just because i think it's funny to see it get hooked in people's heads and watch them sing it back.

Lyrics are a very important part of the song to me. A song can sound great but if the lyrics aren't well-written it kind of loses its magic for me. For me, a song has to be the total package.

with some songs i do ignore the lyrics, because i feel that the music itself speaks out loud.

but most of the time, i pay attention to what the band/artist have to say. with bands like pulp, you really want to listen to the lyrics.. because they always tell stories instead of just random gibberish.