British English & American English?

This question is for the British. I constantly here Brit's talking about how we Americans have ruined the English language, or how we spell things differently, and this and that. Now, from all the Brit's I've ever met, you've all seemed like good friendly people, for the most part. There are a... show more This question is for the British.
I constantly here Brit's talking about how we Americans have ruined the English language, or how we spell things differently, and this and that.

Now, from all the Brit's I've ever met, you've all seemed like good friendly people, for the most part. There are a few things however that many of you seem to be borderline nazi's about. One of them being the proper usage of the English language.
What's the deal? Why so uptight about it?
I understand that the language originated over there, and that's probably a big reason why, but is it really that big of a deal? Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Let's keep in mind that we come from a country filled with people speaking many languages, different accents, from different cultures. Thus, the language has evolved in many different directions here.
Do you keep this in mind while still talking about how badly we've ruined the language?
I'm honestly curious about this, so be honest! Thanks
Update: Take a look at the first few answers........my point exactly!
I guess you guys are just overly proud of your language. Thanks to the couple of you that gave me a halfway intelligent answer.
Sorry we threw out letters from a few words, it just made more sense to us to spell them more closely to the pronunciations...
Update 2: To Heart Hammer:
You make a great point. That was my original thinking, but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same. Doesn't it make perfect sense? I would've thought so.