Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

British English & American English?

This question is for the British.

I constantly here Brit's talking about how we Americans have ruined the English language, or how we spell things differently, and this and that.

Now, from all the Brit's I've ever met, you've all seemed like good friendly people, for the most part. There are a few things however that many of you seem to be borderline nazi's about. One of them being the proper usage of the English language.

What's the deal? Why so uptight about it?

I understand that the language originated over there, and that's probably a big reason why, but is it really that big of a deal? Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Let's keep in mind that we come from a country filled with people speaking many languages, different accents, from different cultures. Thus, the language has evolved in many different directions here.

Do you keep this in mind while still talking about how badly we've ruined the language?

I'm honestly curious about this, so be honest! Thanks

Take a look at the first few answers........my point exactly!

I guess you guys are just overly proud of your language. Thanks to the couple of you that gave me a halfway intelligent answer.

Sorry we threw out letters from a few words, it just made more sense to us to spell them more closely to the pronunciations...

To Heart Hammer:

You make a great point. That was my original thinking, but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same. Doesn't it make perfect sense? I would've thought so.

Favorite Answer

*sigh*I suppose one cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear so,continue changing the English language as much as you like.The sooner there are two distinct languages,the better I will like it.I wondered what "errrrrbs" were,until I watched an american chef on T.V and realised he meant "herbs"I haven't noticed this pretentiousness with other countries.I think it was Winston Churchill who said "two countries divided by a common language" how true and by the way,I am being honest.

Edit Britain has the most diverse population of any country in the world,this was from a U.N and British finding.

• mark m

I would like to have a brain storming session with you, I think you got it all wrong here or you were talking to the wrong people, I work in London in a place half of the employees are Americans and the other half are British, we never talk about this, maybe we talk about our local food and beers, haven't said that most of the Americans love our British accent.

Americans seem to always get that in the neck here when they visit Yahoo answers! I really dont understand why some of us make such a big deal of it as we do it too! We use different words for things as well, like for us Northern Irish we call trousers keggs and you would call them pants! The scots would call a child a bairn, blootert for drunk and so on. And the English would also use a lot of slang for things as well!

Here's a wee website for English slang, after reading this, Brits should really think twice about blaming Americans for ruining the English language.

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

You constantly HEAR...

Apart from that, your usage of the English Language is rather good for an American, and is worthy of my answer.

There are more important things to worry about, and you have raised some very good points, though when we comment on bad usage, and how the language has been ruined, we do it mostly for fun.

English people have a sense of humour, and it tends to confuse a lot of Americans.

Sorry to say it.

Why take something amazing that is revered the world over and bastardise it? It's like taking the American flag and redesigning it just because we Brits believe we can.

Every single English-speaking country spells english as we do in the UK and America is the odd one out and it has 'dumbed down' spelling and looks silly.

What if the UK decided to make French its main language and then started to simplify the spelling - and change half of their words. The French would be perfectly entitled to be miffed.

I am a Brit in the USA and it irks me when someone tells me I have spelt something wrong. I have a degree in classical theatre and English Literature and I can assure you my spelling is correct and yours is wrong.

I don`t have a problem with American "English", I seem to be able to read and understand it as well as British "English". You point out, rightly so, that we on this side of the pond get a little uptight about the language we share (borderline nazi). I would point out that there are just as many on your side of the pond that are equally as guilty.

Yes there are many more important issues to worry about!

I'm English and I don't care if you spell colour as color or call trousers pants. As long as I understand what you are saying I don't care if you call or spell something different. But I just did a spell check on this and it said that I spelled 'colour' wrong lol.

I think some of the English people on here have a cheek to criticise you Americans for spelling 'colour' as 'color', 'theatre' as 'theater' etc when they themselves can't spell simple words in their own language. How many on here can't distinguish between

there and their

its and it's

lose and loose

your and you're

where and wear

know and no

than and then

...and they try to say they are proud of their language...yeah, right!

I'm Welsh, by the way.

Of course you haven't ruined it. Over here the language is different than it was a 100 years ago. The only problem we have is trying to understand what the actors are saying in some of the American films, especially the black people.

IT IS NOT THAT YOU HAVE RUINED THE LANGUAGE --------The problem is who was your teacher of the language ---explorers /settlers in the early days --most did not read or write and that is where you parted from the QUEEN,S ENGLISH. AS A SCOT --I SPEAK BROAD SCOT,S AND THAT IS ANOTHER BALL GAME.