Questions about environmental engineering?

I'd like to hear from people in the environmental engineering field:

1) Do you compete with civil and mechanical engineers for the same jobs?

2)Are you forced to move to remote locations to get steady work in your field?

3)Do you often have to work in swamps and bogs and with hazardous waste?

4)Can you give examples of interesting projects that you've done or are working on?

Favorite Answer

You will compete with civil engineers but not mechanical.

There are plenty of jobs in major cities for environmental engineers.

You do about 25% in the field and 75% in the office depending on the company you work for.

I am a Civil Engineering student so I haven't had much experience. Most of my experience is in design.

Source(s): CE senior

1) Yes, especially civil engineers. But if you are a chemical engineer you will have an easier time obtaining a job.

2) Sometimes, but more often than not you can find work in a major city.

3) Not usually. You might take a trip to a site once or twice in order to see it firsthand, but you will have technicians and contractors who do most of the dirty work.

4) Designing a volatalization pad for decontaminating gas/oil spills on soil. Helping a refinery to reduce emissions and throughput problems by optimizing their burners. Working on scrubber technology to remove particles from gas stacks. Assisting with permit applications.

Yes Organic comes under environmental